Chapter 4: Ludwig

I look up when the doorbell rings, Berlitz running to make sure it's safe, he barks happily when it sees who it is.

Slowly, basically dragging my body, I walk towards the door, opening it and giving the two people there a small smile.

"Hello Gil, Matthew." The two of them smile at me, and I walk to the side in order for them to come in.

"Hey little brother," Gilbert says, messing with my greasy hair, although he doesn't say anything about it. Matthew gives me a soft, sweet smile, "bonjour Ludwig." I lean down, letting him give me a quick peck on each cheek as he does every time.

I stand to my full height again, giving him a smile, and lead him over to the living room.

By leading, I mean that I push Matthew in his wheelchair as Gilbert drops the food off on the table.

Matthew's left leg is completely paralyzed, and he can't walk correctly, so he uses the wheelchair to get around.

Sorta like how I have Alaric for help.

Amara walks up to Matthew, who gently pets her head, Jäger, and Blackie soon join. The rest of them, minus Alaric, are playing outside.

Gil grabs my hand, pushing Matthew over to the now set table with me in tow. He picks Matthew up, as Matthew refuses to do more than necessary in his wheelchair, being the stubborn person he is, setting him down in the chair to the right of me.

Gilbert takes the seat across from me after putting the wheelchair in the living room. Matthew serves himself some pasta and salad, Gil piling his plate on breadsticks and pasta, and I add some pasta and salad to my own like Matthew.

Only it's about half the size of his.

The two give me a look, but Amara took over before they could. She tugs my shirt, dropping a cup of orange slices and a plastic spoon at my feet. I sigh, picking them up and petting Amara's head, she walks over to Matthew, gently placing her paws on his right leg.

The rest of my dogs run in, all crowding around Gilbert and Matthew, happy from all the attention given to them. Alaric lays his head across my legs, my hand automatically moves to pet his head.

"How have you been Ludwig?" Matthew asks, even though he saw me not even two days ago and talked to me yesterday.

I shrug, "I'm doing okay, how about you?" He smiles.

"I'm doing good, tomorrow is another group meeting so I'm excited." I give him a small smile, hoping he won't do what I know he will.

"Won't you try it at least once? I'm sure you'll like the people there," he tells me, but I shake my head for the thousandth time. "I-I'm sorry Matthew, but I really don't want t-too join." He places a hand on my own.

"It's okay Ludwig, no reason to get nervous over saying no," he says, smiling softly. Gilbert coughs, drawing our attention to him. He's smiling at us, specifically Matthew.

"Ready to tell him Birdie?" He asks the blond, who looks confused for a moment, then realization crosses his face and he nods. Gilbert leans back in his chair, "well Lud, me and Birdie are getting married, I asked him yesterday night and he said yes."

I smile, a happy, genuine smile. "That's wonderful!" I tell them, Gilbert and Matthew nod, staring into each other's eyes.

I'm a third wheel, although I'm okay with that, as I don't want love.

Love is scary.

Love is dangerous.

After the announcement, dinner is filled of pleasant and random discussions. "Lud," I look from Matthew to Gilbert, who is smiling. "We will be staying here for the night, is that okay?" I nod, smiling back.