Lifeless Dead

Prologue

His dead body slung against the electric chair, wires seeping from his skull, eyes glaring daggers at me, a wicked smile stretched across his face. The guard reached forward to check the mans pulse, fortunately, he was dead. He turned back to look at me and gave me a thumbs up, I nodded. Feeling slightly uneasy with wobbly knees, I turned to the door. This wasn't going to get rid of him in my nightmares, he would always be there and I could do nothing about it. Goosebumps invaded my arms, the hairs on the back of my neck stood pin straight, I shivered. The guard escorted me through the corridor, banging every cell on the way with his baton. So cliche, I thought as I rolled my eyes.

A paper was flicked at me from one of the padded cells. The guard barked an order at the man, swung his arm back, and smacked the cell with so much force I wouldn't be surprised if the gate came off of its hinges. I bent down and picked the piece of paper up off the floor. Should I open it? I thought to myself. I uncrumpled the paper and read the note:

He may be dead, but I'm not. You can run, but you can never hide. I'll be watching you, I'll be waiting for you, I'll be waiting for the day I can taste and feel your blood.

I heard a maniacal laugh come from the cell and wished that this hadn't happened to me. The guard stared down at the paper and sighed. "Don't listen to him, he's in there for a reason and he isn't coming out any time soon. You have nothing to worry about." I nodded up at him and felt wetness around my eyes. Why was I crying now? Out of all the times I could have cried, I chose to do so right now, in front of hundreds of psychotic and disillusional criminals and prison guards. 

The guard saluted me and pointed to another guard who was holding out a box, containing the few items I couldn't take in. I latched on my earrings and waved good bye at the two guards while being dragged away by another. Heat was building up at the back of my head, I was being watched. I whipped my head around and saw the man peering out of a barred window from a cell with that same wicked smile.

Why can't I be unencumbered? I want to be a little girl again. Maybe I should move back in with my agelast father and OCD mother, should I really stick around and watch my parent's marriage deteriorate? The guard smiled down at me and patted my back, "Good luck, Kid." I nodded up at him and jogged to my car. Upon entering the vehicle, I turned up the heat, leant my head back and closed my eyes. The electric chair popped up in my head, I yelped. Sh, just breathe, he's gone now, he can't hurt you. 

With one last glance aimed at the prison, I looked forward and ventured out into the reality of my city, home, and place of my demise.