Chapter 1 - Longing

Charise picked up her bag and walked out of the classroom as soon as she heard the bell ring. She was desperate to leave the campus as fast as she could since she yearned to be alone with her thoughts for the rest of the day. She walked briskly while avoiding those who decided that they did not have better things to do after school and tried blocking Charise's way.

Female bystander #1: Hey, I heard that she (Charise) is a slut. Is it true?

Female bystander #2: A lot of people have been saying that. There has to be a basis if that is how most people think about her.

Male douche: *whistles* Hey cutie!

B*tch: *stands in front of Charise* Oh, if it isn't the little slut--

Charise: *pauses walking to look at her sternly* Not now, Avery. *continues to walk briskly*

B*tch: *looks at her back with her mouth left open*

As she exited the school's gate, Charise looked up at the sky and tried calming herself down by breathing slowly and deeply. After a couple of seconds, she looked ahead of her with determination and continued her walk home.

Couples walking hand-in-hand and kids demanding ice cream from their parents are whom Charise passed by on her way. The longing for happiness with a companion grew more with every smile shared that she saw.

Once she reached her home, she slowly knocked on the door thrice before waiting for someone to open it. When it did not happen, she let her hand enclose on the doorknob as she inserted the key. The door opened and she stepped in.

Charise: Mom? *walks further into the house* Dad? *looks around* Grandma? *looks up the stairs*

Her words echoed as she spoke. No one answered her calls and, as she realized that nobody was home, she exhaled and turned around to lock the door behind her.

She trudged up the steps that lead to her bedroom. As she opened the door, she first noticed the large picture frame that was picking dust on her bedside table. With shaky hands, she picked it up and let out a few tears. It was a picture of her and her ex-boyfriend with his arms around Charise's shoulders.

Her hands kept their hold on the frame as she sat down on the side of her bed. Her eyes are trained to their smiles at the picture. With memories beginning to flood her mind, she let a sullen smile crawl to her lips.

Charise: Hey, Azael. *falls silent for a while as she strokes Azael's spot in the picture* I know it has been a long time but I still can't forget you. You told me that I should move on from you as soon as we parted ways. Even my friends have told me that repeatedly. I really tried, but my heart is too stubborn to let the thought of you go. *wipes tears* Why did we have to break-up in the first place? We were doing fine. You promised me forever and I believed you. I didn't know that forever lasted for only three years. *laughs then pauses for a while to breathe* I miss you, you know.

With a heavy heart, Charise gently laid the frame back to its original position then made her back hit the mattress. She stared at the ceiling for a while until she slowly dozed off to an early slumber.