Volume 2, Chapter 4: Love and War

DJ got home much earlier than expected. We all knew instantly that something was wrong, but he didn't need to explain anything to us. His face said it all. 

My arms were around my friend in an instant. I could feel his heartache and pain emanating from him. Soon enough, he finally broke. No one teased or ridiculed as our teammate lost all resolve and wept openly on my shoulder. No one spoke. We were just there for him for that next hour until he was in bed asleep.

Sky sat on the edge of his bed next to him. I observed from my desk in the corner as she watched him sleep with a sad look on her face. She gently combed her hand through his sandy-blonde hair. The scene brought a faint smile to my face.

"Guess you'll finally get your chance," I said, just loud enough for her to hear. She gave me an annoyed glare before resuming her vigil. 

Silence took over again for a short time. Gradually, I noticed her expression change from sad concern to a hint of guilt, then complete self-pity. Her overwhelming emotions began to show on her face. She was about to cry.

I quickly went to her and pulled her to her feet and into my arms just as the tears began to flow. There was not much I could say, especially because I didn't really understand what she was upset about. I finally asked when I saw she'd calmed enough to speak.

"I know I kind of asked for this to happen," she began. "But I never wanted him to get hurt."

"DJ and Pyrrha chose this path for themselves," I said. "There's nothing any of us could have done to change it."

Her expression suddenly got hard. She glanced at DJ's sleeping form. Something was on her mind. "I need some air," she said as she turned to walk out the door.

'What's up with her?' I quickly dismissed the issue. She would talk to me about it if she wanted to. 

I looked at the clock. '11:28. I'd better hit the sack.' I quickly got changed and crawled into bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Skyler's POV

I knocked on the door before me and waited. After a few seconds, Jaune answered. He looked surprised to see me. 

"Oh! Sky!" He glanced over his shoulder then lowered his voice. "Now's not really the best time, as I'm sure you're aware."

"I'm fully aware." I said bluntly. My aggravation came out a little in my voice. "Where's Pyrrha?"

Jaune looked very unsure of himself. "I'm not sure if she really wants to talk to anyone right now."

"It's fine, Jaune." The voice came from within the dorm room. Jaune showed his surprise but stepped aside as Pyrrha came to the door.

Her nose and eyes were red, and her makeup was smeared. She'd been crying. "Hello, Skyler. What can I do for you?" she asked in a pleasant tone. She wore a faint smile, but I knew it was all a façade. 

"I would like to talk to you on the roof. Now."

Her face saddened as she nodded her head in consent. Jaune tried to argue, but she silenced him with a wave of her hand. "I'll be fine, Jaune," she said as she followed me to the stairs and up to the roof.

When we were on the roof of the dormitory, she stopped just outside the doorway. I kept walking until I was standing near the ledge. I remained silent as I gathered my thoughts.