Part 2

Part 2

Jason's older sister Janie had come over early the next morning to visit and found her family hacked and ripped to bits. My heart goes out for her. I can't imagine having to find your parents and little brother in that state.

The hours and days that ensued thereafter where exhausting. On top of the fact that nobody believed a word that came out of my mouth, I was grieving over the loss of my best friend and still scared out of my wits. I was an utter train wreck. The police questioned me until they were blue in the face, searched my home more than once as they thought I was a suspect at first. With good reason I suppose. Here's this 14 year old kid sounding like a lunatic who just so happens to be the only witness to this tragedy. Criminal profilers were called in, detectives and private investigators scoured my neighborhood and surrounding woods for weeks. No leads, no footprints, no murder weapon. The case quickly went cold.

I was pushed into therapy sessions and grueling psyche evaluations for the next couple of years, and put on numerous different medications to try and break my "mental breakdown caused by this traumatic experience" which lead me to "believe" I saw something that isn't real. All of this eventually pissed me off so I gave in and told them what they wanted to hear. "I didn't see a demon I saw a man." I gave a false description just so all this mess could be behind me.

At the age of 18 I jumped into the first relationship that came along. She was pregnant within 3 months and we decided to get married fresh out of high school. I did it for the wrong reasons, which never works out. Basically I was too scared to sleep alone at night. The visions of my past haunted my every dream. I couldn't close my eyes in bed without the real life slasher flick I witnessed playing in high definition on the back of my eyelids. So the knot was tied and the ball was chained, but I knew deep down the my plans would be too time consuming and borderline obsessive for her to stay around. I had to find this thing. Find it and kill it. Stop it from hurting anyone else.

I jumped into the police academy and got myself a badge. Step 1 complete. I was a little closer to getting my hands on the case files so I could get the details. None of that was released to the public so as of right now all I knew was that Jason, his mother, and step father were hacked up in their sleep. The months went on and I started looking through old newspapers at the library and scouring the Internet for any signs of another case with the same method of operation. Finding a few things that caught my attention here and there around south Texas ended up consuming me. My wife was getting fed up, taking care of my son Collin on her own, while I stayed either at work or with my face crammed in books or a computer screen. I checked libraries and read up on old demonology, trying to get some kind of idea of the nature of these beasts.

The years were flying by with nothing solid. One six year old who barely knew me and a divorce later, and I'm on my own. Twenty five years old living in a one bedroom apartment in northeast Houston, and drinking myself to sleep every night. Living the life right? And then it happened, freakin finally. At five thirty in the morning on May 30th 2007 I heard a call come over my scanner as I lay awake in my bed. First the long tone. "Harris county S.O. to Houston EMS I need you to be in route to 115 Magnolia, 115 Magnolia. In reference to a possible stabbing. Victims mother called in stating she came home and found her son covered in blood on his bedroom floor." This was it. I knew it. I could feel it. It had to be. I jumped up and hauled ass there as fast as I could. This address was only about twenty minutes from where I lived.

When I arrived on the seen there were already homicide, a few officers, EMS, and the coroner on the scene. CSI was on the way. I explained how I couldn't sleep and was just out riding around when I heard the call go out and just thought I'd stop to help. I overheard the boys mother telling the detective how she had just come in from working the late shift at the hospital and went in to check on her 16 year old son. She found him on the bedroom floor, almost ankle deep in blood, with his insides splayed all over the floor. Shit. Is this what happened to Jason and his family? Their guts ripped from the inside out? Well since I was only a patrol officer at the time, and off duty, I couldn't get anymore information from this case and was told thanks for my help but to just head home. No fingerprints, hairs, or DNA what so ever where ever recovered from this scene. Go figure.

I put in hard hours on tracking down leads for various cases and eventually put in the request for homicide. At 29 years old I was accepted and passed all my tests and jumping through bullshit hoops. Finally I made it. I could pull all case files, cold or not, review and re-investigate if I wanted. That's EXACTLY what I wanted. Time to look into my old buddy Jason's file.