Whisper of a Howl

A red leaf drifted down the tree, swaying in the wind before it landed gently against the ground. Vera stood by her window, watching the scene before her. She could see the front of her house and was amazed to see that it was already getting cold. She sighed as she realized the weather was not going to cancel the trip Mr. Lorenzo had planned. A trip that would no doubt bore the quiet girl.

The trip was to going camping with her science class, so they could study the nature and the cycle of it. Vera wasn’t big on science or nature but she had taken the class because it was the only class left with any openings. There were going to the forest to camp that was located exactly two hours away from her small town

She had to leave early in the morning to go to her school to travel with her class with a bus to go to the camping ground. This was why she was up at seven looking out of her window. She had put on black long yoga pants, a black turtleneck sweater with a black light jacket and black tennis shoes.

Sighing softly Vera moved from the window and went towards her mirror. She glanced at her reflection, fixing her black hair into a ponytail with her bangs lying on the side of her forehead. This is how good it gets, she thought content with her appearance. She grabbed her backpack and placed it on her shoulders before she walked out of her room and down the stairs. Her mother was busying in the kitchen with her dressed in a suit and drinking her coffee. She paused at the bottom of the stairs, “oh you’re going to work today?”

Elizabeth Morgan drained all the coffee in the white mug and placed it in the sink before she turned towards her only daughter. “Yes. Are you ready?” she asked and checked her watch that was rested against her right wrist.

“Yeah,” Vera mumbled. “Did you call dad and tell him what time to pick me up? Or do I need to?” she asked. Vera’s parents had divorced when she was twelve, so her mother had her regular surname Morgan and Vera her father’s last name; Hale.

When her parents did officially have a divorce, Vera had stayed with her since it made no sense to move two hours away from a home she had since she was first born. Her father, Mark Hale, had moved to a town where Vera’s trip was, so instead of coming back she would go to her father’s to visit. Elizabeth had suggested the idea and Mark had agreed. Vera wasn’t to keen on the idea.

“I called last night. He said he would so if he isn’t there on time call him on his cell.” Vera shrugged indifferently. Either way he was going to be late picking her up. He was never on time for anything.

She moved towards the back door which would lead them to the garage where her mother’s white car and Vera’s black car. Her mother was going to be giving her a ride to the school where she would have to take the bus to get to the campsite.

The car ride to the school was silent, each one busy thinking their days over. Once they arrived at her school, Vera mumbled a goodbye to her mother and shut the door behind her. She inhaled a large amount of oxygen and held it for a second before she exhaled it a second later and continued to walk over to the crowd of students who were getting onto the bus.

The bus ride was uneventful to say the least. It was the most boring two hours of her life. She was sitting two seats from the front of the bus and tried to read her latest novel but the noise was too loud for her to even think. So, she decided to listen to her music. It was the best possible way to drown out the noise of her peers.

Two hours later and they arrived at their destination. Vera took out her headphones once the bus stopped.