Chapter 8: Before Brenda Died

Kelly said 'yes' to Dylan's proposal and the wedding plans that should have been for one of Brandon and Kelly, switched to Dylan and Kelly. Since they all ran in the same circle the guest prepared for wedding number two for the exception of Mr. and Mrs. Walsh.

"Brandon this is outrageous, I'm sorry, but you told us that you were in love with Kelly, why aren't you marrying her?" Cindy Walsh argued in the front yard of her old home.

"Yes, mom, I know." The former groom replied. "I still love Kelly but not in that way, it wasn't her who called it off, it was us who did."

His mother calmed herself, she looked over at his father who was just as frustrated she, he sat in the rental car parked in the driveway. Cindy moved passed her son, she saw that her rose bush that she had planted in the front of the porch was dying, all the lights were on and there was music booming that could be heard from the outside. When her and her husband moved to Hong Kong the quaint, two story home transformed into a frat house, yet she wasn't peeved, what was she to expect. "Who knew that coming here meant all this."

Brandon smiled at his mother. "Yeah, Beverly Hills, so not Minnesota."

"All the changes, they scare me, Brenda's in England, we're in Hong Kong, you're still here... not getting married. I feel like things have happened so fast."

"Mom, stay for the wedding, Dylan and Kelly belong together, he's loved her since high school. I'm fine really."

"I can't." She began to walk towards the car.

"Why?" He escorted her.

"Because you're not, fine that is."

Cindy slid into the passenger's seat, his parents drove off, most likely he wouldn't see them till Christmas. Watching the car go down the road had made him eerie and homesick. He missed them dearly and the two weddings had prevented him from spending any quality time with them, his mom was right, so much had changed. He went into his house that was nearly turned around for wedding number two. He gave that fake smile, the caterers flew passed with food and the decorators had occupied every inch of the living room. He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs, 'this is not ok.' Dylan patted him on the back as he passed, not to mention he would be the best man for this wedding just so he could get the perfect view of his almost wife marrying someone else. It had only been two weeks. It had only been two weeks and Kelly was tasting the icing on the cake like she was absolutely sure. Was he missing something? Was this how everything was supposed to work out? Was this how it was meant to be?

When deep sorrow began to tighten its grip the doorbell rang and he dashed towards it. He needed something to do. When he opened up, he lost his breath.

"Brenda!"

There she was dark hair, not long but short, red lips, dressed to the tee, suit case in hand. His emotions became even more unstable. He acted out his excitement and gave her a big hug. Though inside he wondered, 'what did she do now.' They hadn't spoken in a year and their parents didn't know she was coming seeing that they had left a few minutes earlier. That could only mean that his sister had gotten herself into some trouble and she had come home to unload it on him and everyone else. The utterance of that name woke up the whole house, Steve came from the patio, Andrea and Valerie ran out from their rooms. Dylan and Kelly swung out from the living room. Everyone looked ecstatic, they huddled around her helping her get settled in. Brandon took her bags up the stairs.

"Do you mind if she bunks with you Valerie?!" Brandon yelled from the second floor.

"Well it is her room right?" She answered.

"So that's a yes?!"

"That's an absolutely! Bren you could take over!" She said so joyfully. She was excited to see her childhood friend, it didn't matter what Brenda did or say, for all Val cared she could have the bed, the closet and put her out, for she knew if Brenda was present at this wedding things were surely about to go amiss.

Steve caught that immediately. "Well, don't throw a party just yet Valerie." He told her in quiet.

"Steve nobody wants to see this wedding happen. People are only staying because Kelly begged."

"I don't want to see Kelly hurt."

"Kelly? She's the bitch who hopped from one altar to the next in less than a freakin' month I'm dying to see the finale of this episode where she cries off into the street and then gets hit by a car, or bus, either one is fine by me."

"Now why do you have to say stuff like that?" Steve rebelled.

"Hey if there is anyone I'm feeling sorry for its Brandon, he's the one who has to host this catastrophe-"

"Shut up."

When she looked behind Steve she saw Kelly with her imported tableware in her grip.

"I don't want to hear another word from you and just to let you know you are not invited to our wedding, so come a week from now you're gonna have to find somewhere to go for two hours."

"Oh, so you think you and McKay are gonna make it to a week from now? With Brenda here I don't give it two days, with their history they'll be back together and just maybe, just maybe... because you're a little slow you'll realize you're just sloppy seconds. Oh and as long as Brandon's name is on the house I won't be going anywhere even if it's just for a couple of hours."

Valerie left Kelly furious in the kitchen laughing all the way up the stairs.

"Ugh!" She grunted. "I hate her." She vented to Steve.

"You know that she's right." He responded to her aggravation.

"What did you say?"

"Kelly she's right. Dylan can't be trusted and now that Brenda's here who knows what's gonna happen. She's never been known for making that wisest decisions."

"Ok, so what do you expect me to do, call off my wedding, tell everyone to go home, based on the hunch that my now fiancé may go back to his ex. Listen, this may look wrong but what if we are meant to be, what if we are supposed to grow old together? Nobody has considered that. Dylan and I are adults now we know how to be faithful."

Steve took her by the hand. "Kelly I don't want him to hurt you. And I'm not crazy for thinking of this because his record says that he will. Now Brandon on the other hand-"

"Is a boy scout; perfect, right? Well he cheated on me with that skank you guys brought on to help you out with the newspaper."

"What?"

"Yes. It's one of the reasons why we couldn't go through with it."

"Ok so you're doing this because you think Dylan's going to be better? If you don't want to call off the wedding, then at least give it a little more time."

"The guests are here now, so I will be getting married the beginning of next week." She proclaimed sternly.

Kelly walked away from him. She couldn't believe it Valerie had done it again she took a moment of happiness in her life and she wrecked it with her foul words. It took less than a second for her taunting comments to get to her as well. The soon to bride thought. Why was Brenda here? They made sure to tell her that the wedding between Brandon and her was canceled. Did she not get the message? Ugh! She hated this. She hated every bit. She should be happy. Thinking more positively she started to pep herself up. The dispute that happened between Brenda and her over Dylan was so many years ago. Why should she be afraid? Above all else Brenda was one of her dearest friends, her presence at the wedding should only enhance the moment. Then why was she the last person she wanted to see walk through that door. Slowly but surely, Steve and Valerie's words sank in, she saw Dylan welcoming Brenda and all Kelly could say was 'not again.'