Chapter 32

Ellie POV

The only thing I feel as my eyes refuse to open is the electricity of Axton's touch. I can feel him hold my hand. I want to smile and squeeze his hand back, but my body refuses to cooperate.

After trying to wiggle my fingers for what I think is twenty minutes, I start to focus on the sounds I can hear in the room. The beeping of what I assume to be my heart monitor is constant in the background as I hear mummers of noise coming from outside the room.

I am in the hospital, but I can't remember why. I want to scrunch my face in annoyance as I try to remember what happened to land me in a hospital bed.

I feel Axton play with my hair as he leans over me. I can smell his perfect scent of honey and woods coming off him, "Please wake up, El. Please," his voice cracks, "I need you to open your eyes, baby."

I just want to tell him that I am trying. I am trying everything to get my body to respond but it isn't working. I am yelling at my body to squeeze his hand back. Anything to show him I am here.

I hear a creek, which I assume is the door opening.

"Is she awake yet?" Sawyer asks. I'm assuming Axton shakes his head no as Sawyer continue, "She'll wake up, Axton. Don't worry, she's strong."

"Thank you, Sawyer."

"Anytime," she says, "Zea has been trying to see her for almost an hour, you know."

"I know. I didn't want to let her see El covered in blood after her last surgery. You can let her in."

I hear a light patter of my little girl as she comes rushing into the room, "Is mommy awake?"

"Not yet, sweetheart," Axton answers her.

"Will she wake up soon?"

"I don't know," he says, "That's up to her."

"Can I help her?"

I can feel Axton's hesitation, but I know he gives in as I feel Zea's hand rest on my arm. I feel warmth for a few seconds before she stops, "Did it work?" Axton asks.

"It worked," I answer him before even realizing my mouth actually opened. I peel my eyes open slightly as I stare at both of their bright blue eyes as I give them both a small smile.

"Mommy, you're awake!" Zea screams as she jumps onto the bed and gives me a hug. I wince as I squeeze her back as hard as I can. My entire body is still sore, "I thought you were gone."

"Never," I tell her as Axton moves to hold both of us. I melt into his embrace as I focus on his heartbeat.

When he pulls back, Zea moves to sit at my side on the bed instead of on top of me as Axton holds onto my hand, "Thank you for waking up."

"How long was I asleep for?" I ask, noticing the dark circles under his eyes.

"Two days," he tells me.

I squeeze his hand as he tells me that. I have been out for two days, "What happened, Axton?"

His eyebrows move closer together as he gives me a confused look, "Do you not remember what happened?"

I shake my head as I tell him what I know, "I remember being taken by Cortez and I remember him and Rolfe tor-" I stop mid-word as I notice Zea is listening intensely, "I remember both of them. Then something happened."

Axton nods his head slightly, "I found you Ellie. The pack and I took the bunker and I found you in one of the rooms. We got you back."

"You found me?"