Chapter 3 - Behind the line

There were two casualties today, one victim was an FBI negotiator, and the other was the leader of the drug cartel group Zambada. The suspect has been identified as the infamous bounty hunter, Keck. We're standing here at the crime scene and we'll report back with more information, so stay tuned.

In order to mitigate the offensive presence of Keck, Conley had to dig further into his mysterious life. He needed names of family, close friends, and past girlfriends. He walked out of his office and stood in the middle of the packed room while everyone put their work to stop to stare attentively at their boss.

Conley raised one finger up, he did a slow three sixty to make sure he had everyone's attention. "In order to catch Keck, we need to all be working together," he stated. "I need everyone to investigate his past, give me names, and numbers."

People started nodding, becoming more immersed by his words. They were his puppets, they were his expenses to use and manipulate.

Then Conley let out an unexpected scream, "I want this son of a bit** caught!"

News has just come in that Keck allegedly shot Jose Silva, the leader of Zambada, and shot John Wyatt junior, an FBI negotiator. Witnesses said that Keck held two hostages, one of them being Silva, and another hostage who has not yet been identified.

The background of the television was audible enough for everyone to hear. The television was turned off immediately, and Conley finished his instructions angrily after being reminded of the incident.

He walked out of the FBI building, and walked carefully to the coffee shop. Being an agent was perceived by the public eye as fun, and adventerous. That fallacy was proven wrong when he joined the Bureau.  Danger lurked in places you couldn't fathom. You have to learn to quickly identify any threats to yourself, or to the public.

He scanned the people he walked by, he scanned the people sitting down at local restaurants. He was scanning tirelessly before arrving at the Cafe la Java and picked his usual corner in the coffee shop so he could have a view of the whole place.

A middle aged waitress with curly red hair that always served him when he came, approached him.

"Shall I give you the usual?" she asked.

He nodded, and stuck one finger up to imply he only wanted one cup.

"Alright, I'll bring it right out." she said unethusiastically while walking away

A man walked through the doors making the bells chatter annoyingly.The man looked to the left, and then looked right meeting Conley's eyes. They both stared for a brief moment before the man found a place to sit. He too had his back to walls, and the same waitress that served Conley walked over to him and took his order.

The man would pay no attention to the waitress. He had his hands joined together, both thumbs at his lips, and stared maliciously at Conley. He tilted his head and squinted his eyes, his lips began to move and then the waitress walked away into the kitchen.

Conley pretended to reach for his wallet, but instead he grabbed his gun. He loaded it under the table so the man could not see. The waitress came out with cup of coffee, "Here you go sir, I put cream and sugar already in there for you," she said.

He grabbed the cup, took one refreshing sip that soothed his body as fluids of warmth spread throughout. Then he stood up, with his cup in hand, and gun pocketed furtively in his waist. He walked over to where the man was sitting and sat down. "Are you going to introduce yourself?" challenged Conley.

"Let's just say, that both of us have the same interests." cackled the man.

The agent responsible for today's atrocity is identified as veteran agent Matthias Conley. He has served twelve years in the bureau, and this was not the first time he has allowed casualties in a standoff with criminals.