The Lady of the Light

I looked in the mirror as I adjusted my dress. It was bright red, the same color as my lips. It was a beautiful gown. It had a low collar with gray embroideries along the tight body. The gray matched my eyes. I tugged and straightened the flowing bottom. The arms, tight to the elbows, were loose to the wrists. “Lady Evelynn, are you ready for me to fix up your hair?” I turned around. Susan, a small and kind child stood waiting for my answer. “Yes, simple please Dear One.”

            I closed my eyes as the brush ran through my long, wavy blonde hair. She brushed until my hair was silky smooth. Susan had always been nice to me. She was a selfless, hard working girl. “Susan, come to the feast with me. If you want of course.” She gasped. “Lady Evelynn! Oh, would you really have me join you?” I smiled. “Yes child. I would love to have you. Do you think you could fit into an old dress of mine? How about the green one?” “Oh, yes! Thank you ever so much!” My heart lifted to see her so happy. “Susan; this will be a night to remember.”

~~~

            The feast was beautiful.” I sat next to my husband, Lord Roger. “Dearest Evelynn, I am going to speak to Sir Martin about a jousting tournament for our entertainment. I hear he is quite the fighter.” He laughed heartily, took up my hand and kissed it. I watched him as he strode to the beloved knight. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted young Gregory trying to feed baby Genevieve a whole chicken leg. I stood up and marched over to him.

            The boy cowered under my glare. “Honestly Gregory! She’ll choke. We shan’t tolerate such nonsense!” He bowed his head in shame. “How, child, can you expect to ever be knighted if you’re not going to behave.” I chided. It was then that Susan approached me. “My Lady, may I speak with you?” I turned towards little Gregory. “Behave” he averted his eyes. I nodded. “Lead the way Susan.”

            She walked quickly and quietly to the side of the moat. Her eyes were round and worried. “My Lady I- it’s just- well, Lady Evelynn, this dress, it’s illegal for me to wear it.” I sighed and looked to the rolling hills in the distance. “God created us all equal. No silly law can stop that; for it was by God that we were all born equal. Susana, I feel it is my duty as a leader and a person of my class that I should help God by enforcing that. This dress is not illegal-“ She began to protest. I held up my hand to silence her. “It may very well be illegal for you to wear it but the law was not God’s. If someone discovers that you are not of nobility then it is my fault and your right; for I put you in it.” “My Lady, you sacrifice so much for other people, it reminds me of the story my mother used to tell me. God must have sent you to bring justness to life itself.” “Tell me, please, this story.”

            “As you wish My Lady.” Susan cleared her throat. “It is called ‘The Lady of the Light’. It is a myth of sorts, but there are many who do not believe it. The story says that there will be a lady sent by God to teach us a lesson. She will not be perfect but she will hold us together. She is to be the bonds of our society. This lady is of surpassing beauty both inside and out. She works for others as hard as they work for her. When time comes and she has passed God’s message to another she will descend into Heaven. It is written that only when she sees the light of the Lord in death will she know that she is The Lady of the Light.” I rose. “Thank you Susan, that was beautiful.” “No, I thank you, Lady Evelynn.”

I was surprised. “Why Susan, whatever for?” She looked at me, her brown eyes large and innocent. “For simply being you.” She curtsied and walked away.

            I stood, looking off to the moon for some time. It was full and bright. I seemed to fall into a trance at that moment. My feet began to move in the dew covered grass. I walked and walked until I reached the land of a peasant. There I stood, in the middle of that field for a long time. It felt right, somehow, to be there. But a cloud eventually covered the moon.

            I rose from my trance with a gasp. I did not know of my location. Far of in the distance I heard faint cries. “My Lady! Lady Evelynn!” Though were but a desperate plea, I responded none the less. “I am okay! Where are you?” They did not hear.

            I crumpled to the ground in fear. My people- what could they do. They would turn themselves over looking for me. How could I return by only the light of the moon. A hand touched my shoulder. I caught my breath. “My Lady, do not fear. The light of the moon is present, as is the light of the Lord tonight.” I looked up to a friar. “Thank you; I only fear for my people.” He chuckled. “And rightly so, I suspect they are almost as scared as they were when William The Conqueror took over last century. Though none who were alive then are alive now. You best find your way back home. I will take my leave of you now.” He bowed low and began to stride away. “Friar!” I called “How am I to get home?” He turned around, the moon turning half his long nose to a shadow. “I suspect God led you here, have faith in him, he will lead you back.” And with that he left.

~~~

            I awoke in my bed. The sun was shining, everything seemed all but to clear to me. I did not feel good. There were people standing around my bed, praying. I joined them but was surprised to find my voice bad. “Amen” I began to get scared. “Roger.” I croaked. “Roger what is wrong with me?” He stroked my head gently. A strand of hair came loose and fell before my face. It was gray. I tried to move my hand to push it away but I found my hand too heavy. Roger’s eyes were watering.

            “Oh Evelynn. I can’t fathom as to why God would send death to you of all people. Dearest, you seem to b-be dying.” His voice broke and he knelt down, taking my hand.

            “How long have I been sleeping?” Nobody spoke. “Five days Lady Evelynn.” Whispered a voice “We all thought you would never wake up; it was horrible.” I groaned. “Susan?” “Yes My Lady.” “It is nice of you to be here. But I will not die in this bed. I must go to the bell tower in the church.” “My Lady you are not strong enough.”Protested my mother. “God will provide me strength enough to die where I wish. Please, my clock is running out of time.”

            My people obeyed, silently and in a solemn manner. They took me down the hill and to the Church. We reached the bell tower. “I am to go alone.” A protest began but I silenced it with the raise of my hand. “Please. Susan, thank you. Thank you everyone. And Roger, do not dwell on and mourn for my death, for I will be with God.” And with that I turned and walked up the staircase.

            I lay beneath the bell and closed my eyes, waiting for it to toll. I had used my last bit of strength to reach this spot so when the bell told I did not jump in surprise. I saw a light instead, the light of the Lord. It all became clear then. Why I had been put on Earth. God had sent me, as Susan had predicted. I was The Lady of the Light.