Posessed

Chris Argent placed the old leather book on Scott's kitchen table and opened it, reverently, to the first page. He turned to the second page, the third, then just opened the text in eight more different places. "It's Latin. It's all in Archaic Latin."

Half of the room turned to Lydia. "I'm on it," she said. Scott walked around the kitchen opening drawers until he found a pencil and a pile of yellowed printing paper.

Chris got out of his chair so that Lydia could sit in it. "Where are you going to start?"

"Isn't there an index?" Stiles asked.

"Not in a book this old."

Ethan looked over Lydia's shoulder. "Is it at least divided into chapters?"

Lydia looked. "Yeah – I'll transcribe the chapter headings first." She looked up at Deaton, who stood at the sink washing his sister's blood off of his hands. "Is there anything I should look for first? Something I should focus on?"

"If you find a section called 'How to Defeat a Darach and a Demon Wolf,' I'd start there," Isaac offered with his usual sarcasm.

"We need to help Stiles figure out his powers," said Derek. "That's the priority. Look for key words: Optimalpha, healer, warrior—"

"Virgin," said Stiles with a tall roll of his eyes.

"Hey. It's almost time." Scott pointed at the clock above the sink. "We need to get to the Hale house before Gerard does."

Stiles put on his red hoodie and zipped it up. "All right. Let's go." He got two steps closer to the living room when Derek's arm dropped down like a guillotine and blocked him.

Stiles glared at him. "I'm going to help Allison, Danny and Cora. We don't have time to argue about this." Expecting Derek to start yelling, Stiles flashed his red eyes at him.

But Derek's expression wasn't angry, it was worried. "Someone needs to stay here with Lydia," said Derek.

Stiles' cheeks flushed. "Don't do that," he whispered. "Don't use my feelings for Lydia to get me to do what you want."

"He's not wrong," said Scott, joining them. "She has to stay here and work on that book, Stiles. Someone should stay with her."

"What about Deaton? He'll be just as useless as me on the battlefield."

"We're not saying you're useless, Stiles. Lydia needs someone with werewolf strength."

Stiles glared at Scott and Derek for a minute more, then finally relented. "Fine." He dug deep into his jeans pockets and took out the keys to his jeep. "Good luck," he said, and handed the key ring to Scott.

"We'll be back as soon as we can, all right?" Scott squeezed Stiles' forearm, then tugged him into a quick hug.

"Be careful," Stiles said. He looked up at Derek from over Scott's shoulder. "All of you."

Derek nodded. He held Stiles' eye contact for a moment more, then called to the others, "Let's go." Scott, Derek, Isaac, Deaton, Ethan and Chris piled into Stiles' jeep and Derek's car and headed for the Hale house.

If Stiles had turned around instead of watching the two cars go down the street, he would've seen Lydia take a black cell phone out of her jeans pocket and send a text message.

Kali's phone beeped. She read the message and then looked at Deucalion in the passenger's seat of the van. "They're on their way."

The Demon Wolf savored the final swallow of his tea before speaking. "Excellent. We should be on ours, then, don't you think?"