No need to pray, no need to speak

"I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body, the sovereign nose of your arrogant face, I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes, and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight, hunting for you, for your hot heart, like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue."- I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair, Pablo Neruda

As he passed his hand appreciatively over the cool and smooth iron of the spear, which was diametrically opposed to the brittle surface of the tools that that bargeman had offered them, he smirked to himself. After inspecting the weapon, he passed it to Kili who stood behind him, holding onto to three large swords. They did not equal Orcist that he'd had to forsake after their escape from the elf's halls and could not hope to compare to dwarvish weapons and did not approach their quality. But he supposed that they would make do, especially after he had seen what the alternative was.

As he handed Kili the spear, he saw his nephew shift uncomfortably under the weight of it. He looked his nephew over and saw that the binding which Laurel had put over his thigh had been stained black and that his nephew's eyes were glassy and his forehead glistened with sweat and fever, even in the dull light of the moon. He asked: "Are you alright?" as he saw Kili's face twist and contort in pain at the added weight he had to carry. His nephew immediately straightened at the sound of his voice and putting on a brave and strong façade, that Thorin could see through immediately as he had known the young dwarf and his mannerisms since birth, his youngest nephew stated: "I will manage." Though nodding brusquely in response to his nephew's affirmation, Thorin pursed his lips in dissatisfaction at his nephew's state, familial worry seizing his heart. He knew that in this weakened state, it would surely mean death for Kili to enter that mountain and face Smaug and he was loathe to let one of his two remaining relatives endanger themselves in such a manner.

He also grew angered and chagrined at his state. He was indignant that Kili had allowed himself to be hurt so easily, knowing that they were so close to Erebor. That he had become wounded when he knew that they had to be at their strongest and most potent when facing that fireworm. He was annoyed that another worry was thrust upon him and as he looked at his nephew's weakly state he wondered if perhaps, Kili wouldn't even have the chance of seeing Erebor in this lifetime. He was annoyed, annoyed that his nephew had not considered that Thorin's mind was already filled with thoughts of Erebor... and her... and he needed no other distractions or things that could occupy his mind.

He grew even more chagrined when the reticence, that he had encouraged so that they would remain undetected, was violently broken by the sound of metal clanging as it fell to the floor and he looked towards the staircase to see that Kili had fallen on the steps and had let go off the weapons which had fallen with a metallic clang and created a ruckus that he'd felt had been loud enough to wake Smaug in Erebor. His jaw slackened and his lips parted in disbelief and he could not help but feel fierce acrimony towards his young nephew who had pridefully overestimated his capabilities. For a moment deadly silence reigned between them, which was broken when the bells started toiling in alarm to signal their theft. Before he could even construe a rational thought, guards were upon them and he was backed against the wall with the sharp blade of a templar's sword trained against his throat.

They were led out in the cold winter evening, which was illuminated by the fire of the guards' torches. He looked to his side scornfully as he watched the citizens of Lake Town watching the procession with curious eyes. The snow that fell upon them was tinged red by the glowing of the fire and settled heavily upon him like an algid overcoat. He and his company were lead to the main square and stood before the Master's residence, awaiting the man to exit. Thorin gritted his teeth in humiliation as he saw the growing mob of humans that had assembled to watch him as if he were a common criminal awaiting his sentence and not the mountain king returned to claim his birth right.