[38] Cal

The Genesis [383:29]
Location: The Hermes Starship, Aion Universe

Three days later and we're all seated at one of the long rectangular tables in the mess deck. It's the first time we've all been in one room together since the revelation and the tension is thick to say the least.

After a good few minutes of uncomfortable silence, Lilith clears her throat and says, "Well we're all here. Stop dragging it out and just tell us the news already, Cal."

"You're right – I'm sorry. We're about three hours out from the space-time rift."

"You're serious?" This is Merc, with shadowed eyes and a weary look. He sits between Lilith and Atara like a buffer. "We're going home?"

I surprise myself by smiling. "Yeah. It looks like we are." The air changes. Some of the tension dissolves and is replaced by a charge, a thrill. We've spent two weeks in darkness, fighting each day to survive, and now there's an end in sight, close enough to touch.

If only I could remember what it is I'm heading back to.

"Is there anything we should know?" Lilith asks.

I nod. "The rift is located at the centre of this universe and everything else orbits around it. It seems to be the point of the initial singularity. This means we'll be dealing with intense gravity and a lot of stars – formed and forming. It's going to be rough flying." My eyes slide across to Atara who stares silently at her hands. "You up for that, Atara?"

Her gaze flicks towards me, evaluating. I can't say I don't trust her. But then again, I can't say I trust her either. "I can do it," she says and looks back down at her hands.

Silence, thick and hard to swallow. I can't help sneaking glances at Atara. Lilith's words from days ago hang around in my head like they've been drilled into the bone.

What are you?

"Okay, enough beating around the bush." Merc's voice is like a clap of thunder. "We all know why we're really here."

"There's nothing to say, Merc," Lilith mutters.

He hits the table. "Of course there is! Atara's sick and we need to help her."

"She's not sick," she spits back. "She's unnatural."

Atara leans forward in her seat, enough to see around Merc. "She is right here, and she'd prefer not to discuss this."

"Too bad," Lilith tosses back. "You brought this on yourself when you attacked me in the hallway. What even was that? Some sort of dizziness spell? Are you a witch?"

"She's not a witch, Lilith. She's sick," Merc repeats.

"For god's sake! I'm not sick. I'm not a witch or an alien or whatever else it is your thinking. I'm just...me."

Lilith crosses her arms, moves to sit sideways in her chair. "I don't believe you. And you know what's funny? You don't believe you either."

Atara falls silent, withdrawing back into herself like she does when she feels she can no longer offer a defence. Lilith turns to me. "What do you think, Cal? Alien sickness or witchcraft?"

I clasp my hands together on the metal tabletop. "I think there's a time and a place to discuss matters such as these and this is not it. You want to go home? Well we've got three more hours to prep. We can't be worrying about what may or may not be happening with Atara."

Lilith's eyes light up with fire. "She practically knocked me out in the hallway the other day. And before that, she came to my door in the night and watched me while I slept. I'm sorry, but I'm not letting her anywhere near the controls of this ship. Not until I know who and what she is."