Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Dahlia didn’t roll out of bed until ten. Usually Nick brought breakfast, but he had an account he wanted to get done by noon, so he went in early. Callie was probably on her laptop, chatting with her friends. She picked up her phone and smiled as she read through the conversation from last night. God, she was smitten. He'd completely charmed her. She wondered how foolish she was. She didn't care. She debated on whether she should text him first when her phone vibrated.

Morning! I hope you slept well.

I could use a couple more hours, but once I get coffee in me, I’ll be fine. And good morning to you, too. How are you faring today?

I’ve got two cups down and finished my first job. It’s going to be a long day.

I'm surprised I didn't ask last night. What do you do?

I work in IT. Independent contractor.

Really? Why did Miranda ask me about computers? I thought she needed help with something.

LOL did she really? Girl I dated was seeing someone else while I was fixing her computer.

Wow. Women are bitches.

Indeed. What do you do?

I’m a CPA. My ex and I co-own a business. We help with taxes, bank investments, auditing, and various other services.

Flexible hours, then?

Right now, yes. Tax time is a nightmare because we get small businesses that come in thinking we can do a whole year’s work in an afternoon. We can usually get them an extension, but it takes awhile to convince them that we need a constant stream of their paperwork and receipts. Nick had to put a premium rate on doing things on short notice, so that they would be more inclined to save money in the long run. It works some, but tax time is still crazy. We’ve even taught Callie to run some of the software and file for us.

I think Miranda did her own this year, but she had to file an extension. In fact, I think she just sent it in. The business was smaller last year, but revenue has tripled since.

Tell her to get her stuff together and I can have Nick go look at it. ;-) Seriously though, it’s best if we look at it now. That way we can have it done by the first of the year.

What is your fee?

Nothing for her. I imagine it costs to rent rooms at the club. In my case it’s a bit of a cheat, so I’m good with bartering. ;-)

Will your ex be okay with that?

As long as she’s halfway organized. :-)

She's definitely organized.

Good. I can set up something with her later. But, I need to get up and get dressed.

LOL you’re in bed still? I’ll let you get to it, then. I’ll text you later. Don’t work too hard. ;-)

:-)

Dahlia was behind her desk twenty minutes later, coffee in hand, computer on, and an ex-husband teasing her about her beauty sleep. Luckily, since he came in early, he was taking the rest of the afternoon off to spend some time with Callie, and she could work in peace. He wasn’t hard to work with usually. He was just a constant stream of sarcasm and general assholery. She was mostly immune to it, but some days, she wanted to stay in her own little world. Like today.