Chapter 5 - The Beast Inside of Me

Chapter 5

The Beast Inside of Me

I flopped down on my bed after taking my third shower of the night. Chocolate frosting and cake is really hard to get out of your hair. Every time you apply more shampoo it gets greasier and slimier and more impossible to get out. I was pretty sure there was still some in my hair.

My birthday had officially been the worst ever. Not only had cake got thrown on my head, but I was also never allowed to set foot in my local Olive Garden again. I was on the 'band from this restaurant forever' list.

After the cake landed on my head, havoc continued to run its course. Alex shrieked and laughed while I started screaming and Trent jumped around. Apparently, when I jumped to my feet I had knocked over my water, which landed on Trent's lap. He flew to his feet, cursing before bursting out into a deep, annoying laugh that made my blood boil.

My temper flared, giving me the courage to do something I would normally never do. I grabbed a chunk of cake off of my head and slapped Trent clear across the face. For a moment, he was shocked silent. There was a clear handprint on his face along with smears of frosting from where my fingers had dragged.

A few seconds later, I noticed everyone else had fallen silent. Not just my table, but everyone within a twenty-foot radius was staring at us. Me, the girl with the cake on her head, and Trent, the guy who just got slapped with frosting. That must have looked great. By the time I had processed this, Trent had come out of his shocked coma.

His eyes narrowed at me, a fiery passion burning in his eyes. That look alone made my blood run cold. My eyes widened and I unconsciously reached for some more cake. Catching this movement, Trent sprang into action. Before I could move an inch, he grabbed a handful of his pasta and chucked it at my head.

I shrieked, being showered with the creamy noodles. Growling, I grabbed more cake and launched it in his direction. Things...got out of hand. Me and Trent continued to go at it, throwing our food at each other. Alex joined in, although we tried our best to avoid the small child. Our targets were locked and loaded on each other and nothing could stop us.

I'm not sure how long we fought. People screamed around us, trying to get out of our way or trying to calm us down. I ignored them and shook off their grasps. When Luke finally got my attention by tackling me to the ground, I was covered in various foods. I looked up at his bright red face, realizing with shock what I had been doing.

Before that cold slap of reality, I hadn't even been aware of my actions. I had been fueled with rage, blinded by anger. Slowly, Luke got off of me. Trent was being pulled up by Chris, who had also tackled his brother to the ground. We were standing on the opposite side of the restaurant, our families glaring at us from across the building.

A trail of food was left in our path. People were either sprinting out the door or cowering in fear everywhere. Needless to say, that's how I had been banned from the facility. It was all Trent's fault! His laugh was infuriating. That's what had started the whole thing. With a sigh, I mindlessly started playing with the hem of my tank top.

Suddenly, my stomach growled. Loudly. I shot straight up, my hands flying to cover my stomach. I realized that I hadn't eaten much of my dinner, and my cake had clearly been used for other purposes. Actually, I hadn't had any cake all day. Glancing at the clock, I pushed myself off of my bed. It was only one in the morning, not too late for a midnight snack.

Silently, I crept down the stairs and into the kitchen. My parents had gone to bed long ago, so I didn't want to wake them up. Liam had been gone when we got home, but his bag was still at the house. The only question was where he had gone? A light caught my eye when I reached my kitchen doorway. It spilled from my open fridge, bathing the whole room in light.