Broken strings

Corine had been running in the forest for hours. As night veiled, fear filled her veins. She was exhausted, breathless. Pausing to catch her breath, she noticed that her dress was torn, knees bruised. Scratches, seeping with warm blood, littered her flesh. She had just escaped a terrible fate. She grew so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice the soft noise behind her.

Alert, she glanced around, and for a second she thought she spotted a wolf with glowing yellow eyes lurking in the dark forest. She was not sure if it had been real or a hallucination born of fear, as it vanished.  

“My mind must be confused, there is nothing here “  Corine thought, wanting to believe it.

Hidden behind a tree, frozen as a statue, he suddenly appeared in front of her. Coming out of nowhere and seeing her frightened eyes,  he quickly covered her mouth so she could not cry out.  Tall, muscular, and shirtless, donning arm cuffs, big and inviting lips, and eyes so fathomless that she could lose herself in them. He was a native warrior, she knew it.

Corine could feel the heat radiating from his body as he held a hand over her mouth, the other gripping her waist tightly.

Broken Wing was one of the greatest warrior of his tribe. He was honorable, valiant, bearing a vigorous heart. He would have never left a defenseless woman alone, lost in the forest and in danger. He knew she was in danger as he had been monitoring the moves of the drunken men, now miles behind. He could tell from the evil glint in their eyes that they were a threat and would harm a defenseless woman without hesitation.

She suddenly swayed as if dizzy, and fainted in his strong arms.

When Broken Wing returned to his village carrying the strange woman in his arms, it caused  disturbance among everyone; some of them surprised, many disapproving.

Angry Wolf had just finished his prayers when he saw the commotion and as soon as he lay eyes upon Corine, he felt a sudden chill as if the wind of death had passed by him. Lately, he had been having forbidding dreams warning a great danger was coming to him. In that very moment, Angry Wolf knew the woman in his brother’s embrace represented the lurking danger. She would prove to be the messenger of his fate.

During the next several days, Broken Wing dedicated himself to healing Corine, but even as her body healed and her fever broke, she was still fatigue. Whenever she opened her eyes, her vision was blurry. Sometimes, she thought she saw Broken Wing, other times, a wolf with yellow eyes. She had confused dreams with the disconnected images in her mind.

Angry Wolf avoided being near Corine, but neverspoke a word against her. He knew his brother’s heart and was sure that Broken Wing had fallen in love with that strange woman at the very first moment he laid eyes on her in the forest. Broken Wing had not say as much, but his eyes had spoken for him.

While Angry Wolf avoided her, he could not fight an odd, but strong desire to be near her, to touch her; those thoughts burned within him like a fever that could not be quenched.

Broken Wing caressed Corine’s face and hair, pulling her into his embrace. He could feel the pounding of her heart and the softness of her sun-tanned skin. Corine was an intriguing woman. Unlike other white women, Corine was special, different. Broken Wing smiled as he admire her beauty; lengthy brown curls, honey eyes, a delicate nose, and lips which curved beautifully when she smiled. She was not thin, but had been blessed with curves and voluptuous hips.

Broke Wing had become enchanted by Corine, and yet sadden that he could not fully understand her. There was a mystery about her. This not knowing her invoked agony in his heart. What would be the mystery involving this strange, beautiful creature?