[Illusions of the Sunlight] Chapter Two: . . .Are You Ready?

Two weeks passed by after Naruto's passing. The civilians barely contained their glee at the thought of the dead 'demon', but on the other hand, the shinobi and kunoichi alike mourned for the blond boy's death, knowing he was a promising ninja, and a giver of hope as well.

The sudden demise of the hyperactive, blond boy took a toll on most of the promising ninjas. For instance, on the day after Naruto's passing, ghastly circumstances had happened.   

...:::...

Word had to spread yet of Naruto's death. People, ninjas and civilians, continued their daily antics, unaware of the world's great loss. Currently, Haruno Sakura was walking through the streets of Konohagakure, her head hung low. Her usual bright emerald eyes were dull and lifeless—one could conclude that she wasn't sleeping well for the past few nights.

"Hey, giant forehead girl!" Ino, Sakura's best friend and at the same time, rival, yelled as loud as she can muster, loud enough that the whole street might've heard the insult.

"Hi, Ino. . ." Sakura trailed off as she passed by the blonde girl, her shoulder brushing against hers, leaving the Yamanaka girl dumbfounded, as there was no insult thrown to her.

Sakura? Ino wanted to yell. What's happening to you. . .?

...:::...

On the other side of Konoha, Maito Gai and his mini-clone, Rock Lee, were training with what they excel the most; Taijutsu. As fate predicted so, Hatake Kakashi managed to pass by the training camp of the two Taijutsu masters.

"Ah! Kakashi, my eternal rival!" Gai yelled. "I demand a match!"

Kakashi swept past the man who wears a green spandex and had huge eyebrows, his visible eye closing. He didn't even register the yells of his name and complaints before he leaned against a tree.

"—kashi! Kakashi!" Gai yelled, but the silver-haired jōnin crumpled into a messy heap at the ground, a lone tear falling off his cheek, painfully slow.

"Gai-sensei! What happened to—"

Those were the last words the Hatake heard before his consciousness slipped away. Maybe avoiding sleep isn't a good thing after all. . .

...:::...

"Tsunade-sama! You have to stop drinking!" Shizune, the Hokage's assistant and student at the same time, exclaimed in concern as Tsunade chugged down another bottle of sake.

"Leave me alone, Shizune," Tsunade slurred about, groping around the table to look for another bottle of sake.

After Naruto's supposed death, the Fifth Hokage had done nothing but lock herself up in her room, drinking sake and gambling. She didn't even attend the meetings the Council demanded to have. They could investigate all they want and yell at her, for Kami's sake! She didn't give a care to their concerns, especially her—somehow—archenemy, Shimura Danzo.

"Dan. . .Nawaki. . ." she slurred. "I failed. . .again. The person I call my son is on the list of my dead loved ones, hooray!"

"T-Tsunade. . ." Shizune gaped at the drunken sannin, her eyes wide as saucer plates as she absorbed all the words which came out of the other woman's mouth. Tsunade-sama. . .you really consider Naruto as your own son? Of course, why did I ask? I consider him as my little brother as well. . .