5. Bullet

Naya's P.O.V.

The bullet nearly grazed my skin.

For a split second I thought I was somewhere else. I had reached out thinking it was reality but it was only my imagination.

For fuck's sake what's wrong with me?

There was another swish in the air above us followed by a soft thud against the tree once again. I was beyond terrified. I knew how to fight but how could I fight with someone who was miles away. 

It had been too long since my wolf was allowed to run free. I must admit, I got a little bit carried away.

I hated not being able to communicate with anyone via our werewolf link. My old bond hasn't been severed yet because a new one hasn't been formed but they were too far away. 

I had never felt so alone in my life before. The way she acted it might not appear normal to a human but I could tell she was speaking to Aaron. Her breathing slow, her lips moved and she kept nodding her head.

I wished I was in contact with my Mate. Even though I was terrified inside I remained calm on the outside. Separated emotions from logic. 

Another swoosh tore through the fog. A grunt came short after. A soft scream. Macey jumped across and hugged me fiercely.

My senses became triggered. Five smell hit my senses. Two I was already familiar with thus my nerves calmed. 

I didn't know if it was safe to get out but those five shadowy dispersed figures took form among the light greyish fog.

Then emerges Ocean.

The mist parted, swirled around him. He was panting like a bull. His chest was heaving uncontrollably. Macey ran into Aaron's arms and disappeared from my peripheral vision. 

My throat clogged up from unwashed tears when he raced towards me. My legs tentatively inched forward, hands reached out to touch him.

"Are you CRAZY? What the hell is WRONG with you?" He grabbed my upper arms and gave me a good shake. I held onto his forearms from shock. I had initially thought he was storming towards me to comfort me not scold me.

"I wanted a run. YOU told me I could be free." I shouted back from shock. His face looked murderous. I wanted him to hug me.

"How the FUCK does that mean that you can go out and nearly get yourself killed?" He brought me closer to his body without letting us touch.

"WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU BLAMING ME FOR HUNTERS? Did I invite them to SHOOT at me?" I was furious. My nails dug into his arms but his remained intact. 

His chest caved in. Hot air blew my hair back. Letting me go he stepped back. His breathing became controlled, heart beat returned to normal.

The other shadowy figures broke through the mist. They had sniper rifles and holstered hand guns. I felt foolish and embarrassed. I blinked a couple of times to hide the tears forming in my eyes.

 Crossing my arms, I looked at the thin shards of grass peeking out of the snow. Aaron held Macey so tightly in his arms, a crowbar might have been required to pry them apart.

"We should head back."

His enforcers didn't move a muscle but Ocean had turned his back to me before he even finished his sentence. A new emotion formed in the pits of my stomach. I have never needed anyone to coddle me. But I wanted him to hold me.

I walked quickly, not wanting to look Aaron in the eye for putting his mate in danger. This had never happened to me and I didn't think it would on our first run. I wondered about the human sniper, how could he see in this intense mist. Heat-ray detectors?