Poor Unfortunate Souls

Beware of the night, child. All cats are black in the dark. – Jean Genet, The Blacks

   The sun disappeared as it was drowned below the horizon while the moon slowly took reign of the heavens. All around noises erupted as the shadowy part of mankind awakened; crawling out of the depths they had previously inhabited in the light. One such man stood where the walls of a building had crumbled away to reveal the night sky and part of the gleaming city below. His features bathed in moon light; illuminating his obscure figure.

   Dark brown hair gained silvery highlights while dark eyes flashes iridescently; highlighting the true age of the soul behind them. His lanky form was slightly bent back as he stared up into the moon. His right hand doing its nervous little habit of running the pad of the thumb over the top of each nail on each finger. He took in a deep breath and exhaled. A long string of puffy air, rolling off pearly fangs extended and glinting in the dim light, slowly rising into the sky before simply disappearing.

   "What are you doing Theo?" A woman questioned. Even in the dim light of the moon her bloody crimson hair glowed like a freshly made fire. Her critical eyes washing over the male's uneloquent posture with distaste evident within deep sea foam eyes. She walked quickly over to him; short satin dress swishing quietly with each step taken.

"Oh, Sonya. Do you know what today is?"

"Should I?"

"It's May Twenty-Sixth, Nineteen Seventy-Seven."

"Get your head out of the clouds and come on."

"To where are we going?"

"Ciel has called a meeting today."

"Ah, I see."

   Sonya turned around and began to walk off into the shadows. Theo sighed and began to take long strides to catch up with his short tempered companion. It would be just his luck to make her mad for not walking quickly enough.

   Easily joining back up with Sonya, the two children of the night walked further down into the depths of the building. The changes from the old decrepit corner that Theo had inhabited just a few minutes before could be almost shocking. 

   Old carpets soon bled plush ruby ones and the peeling wallpaper transformed into ornate walls with gold trim and several (and undoubtedly) old art works adorned the surface. Crystal chandeliers cast a warm glow over the velvet furniture of the grand room, leading up to a marble stage. Heavy curtains hung over the beautiful stain glass windows while a throne was seated in the middle of the stage. Occupying the seat was Ciel Sturlenson, leader of their raggedy coven.

   Ciel sat proudly upon his throne; one leg drapped over the arm. His dark hair was stuck up in all of the right places to make it look messy yet intentional. His stormy eyes surveyed all of the vampires who were sleepily shuffling in while his head was propped up on a hand. Long fingers tapped their impatience on the arm of the chair as his foot also kicked.

   Theo's eyes met Ciel's and the two held gazes for a moment before Ciel broke it to converse with the person who was addressing him. Theo snorted softly and then turned to see a familiar vampire with their face stuck into a copy of Twilight. "Hello there Leo." Theo said.

   Leo looked up with a disgruntled expression. "This book is absolutely insulting! Vampires that sparkle? Give me a break!" He snorted. Leo glared down at the book in his hand while the other one ran though golden tresses. The Blonde Vampire always had a thing for reading books about vampires to see how much or little the author actually got right. Of course usually they didn't and he always became very annoyed at the fact.