Chapter Six

Obi-Wan accessed the door to the Jedi Temple Archive Library and stopped in the doorway. Usually it was a pristine space with not a holofile out of place. Busts of great Jedi Masters lined one wall, and the soft glow of computer panels created a hushed atmosphere. Today it was in chaos.
  Holofiles hung in the air while datasheets littered the usually empty counters. Jedi archivist Madame Jocasta Nu stood in the center of the room, two laser pointers stuck haphazardly in her gray wispy bun. Her small, nimble fingers flicked through one holofile after another.
  She looked up at him, irritated. "In or out, young Jedi."
  It never failed. Madame Jocasta Nu could make him feel like a fifth-year student. She appeared frail but her authority was unquestionable.
  She pulled out a laser pointer and frowned at it, then used it to make a correction in a file. "Well?"
  Obi-Wan stepped inside. "Am I interrupting?"
  "Of course you are. Cleaning day. I have to organize once a month. Retire old files, organize, send others to deep storage. Not a good day. It always puts me in a bad mood."
  "Ah," Obi-Wan said, "well..."
  "Which doesn't mean I'm not available," she said crisply. "Just that you won't get the benefit of my usual good humor."
  "Ah," Obi-Wan said again. He had never enjoyed the benefit of Jocasta Nu's good humor. Perhaps he'd been at the other end of her private amusement at his failure to keep up with Senate subcommittee agendas. That was the only time he could remember her smiling at him. It hadn't been a very nice smile.
  Jocasta Nu shook her head. "Oh, for star's sake, Master Kenobi, stop repeating yourself. What do you need?"
  "Some time ago I asked you to research someone called Granta Omega. You assembled a file –"
  "I remember."
  "Which I need to review."
  She sighed. "Today, I suppose?"
  "I'm afraid so."
  Jocasta Nu crossed the room and began to access a holofile directory. She hummed a tuneless melody while she tapped one finger on the counter. "Here we go. I can do a fresh search as well, if you like."
  "That would be helpful."
  She slipped through the file. "Though as I remember, this subject's problem was decentralization."
  "What do you mean?" Obi-Wan asked.
  "Scattered." Her slender fingers wiggled. "Spread out. Diluted."
  "I understand what the word means, I just don't –"
  "Sorry. One of my classification terms. Some subjects are solid. You can look them up, research, find out what you need. Some are diffuse. They are spread out so far they almost disappear." She hummed under her breath. "This Omega was like that. Enormously wealthy, but no particular home. Many companies within companies within companies... many acquaintances, no friends. His business interests are galaxy-wide." She sent the holofile spinning through the air toward Obi-Wan. "You have a file full of information that tells you nothing."
  Just like his physical appearance, Obi-Wan thought, stopping the file with a raised hand. The man hid behind a blank wall he created himself.
  He looked through the file again. Omega specialized in ferreting out rare minerals and buying the whole source, then raising the price. He was enormously wealthy yet kept his wealth diversified and hidden in any number of secret accounts. There was no information that either Obi-Wan or Jocasta Nu had been able to find on his beginnings. They did not know his home planet. He just suddenly appeared, a wealthy man.
  Obi-Wan looked through the list of his known homes. There were fifteen of them spread over the galaxy. Tracking him down would be extremely difficult and time-consuming.
  He closed the file and sent it back to Jocasta Nu. "I doubt you'll find anything, but if you could do a new search..."
  She nodded. "I'll get back to you."
  Just then Yoda appeared in the doorway. "Find you here, I am not surprised. It is still Omega you seek?"
  Obi-Wan walked out to join him in the hallway. "It seems he is almost impossible to find."
  "Impossible, nothing is. Difficult, many things are. To you the question must be, why search?"
  "I have a feeling," Obi-Wan said. "Maybe it is up to me to prevent something before it happens. I don't want to wait for disaster to overtake me."
  Yoda nodded, his gray-blue eyes revealing nothing. "But an immediate threat Omega is not."
  "The immediate threat is not always apparent."
  "Argue with you I will not," Yoda said. "Your decision, this is. But think I do that you need a better reason to spend time on this. Heard I have that your Padawan needs you. Events on Haariden marked him, they have."
  "Yes," Obi-Wan said. "He feels responsible for Darra's injury. She'll be fine, but she lost her lightsaber. He feels terrible about that. And I was not happy with his actions during the battle."
  "Lightsaber skills, important they are," Yoda said. "How to use as well as how not to use. Restraint, your young Padawan needs, as well as direction."
  "I've spoken to him," Obi-Wan said. "He listens. Yet I've come to see that Anakin really learns by doing. With every mission, he grows."
  "Yet sometimes one Knight is not enough to teach a Padawan," Yoda said. He paused. Obi-Wan knew he had more to say. They moved down the hall, Yoda's gimer stick tapping as he walked.
  Yoda spoke as they reached the lift tube. "Hear I have that Soara Antana will remain at the Temple until Darra is better."
  "Yes, she will not leave her."
  "Not much she has to do, I think," Yoda said. "Distraction, she needs." The lift tube opened and he stepped in. He nodded at Obi-Wan as the doors slid closed.
  Obi-Wan smiled. He saw what Yoda was suggesting. "I think I know a way to keep her busy," he said to the closed doors.