Chapter One

The afternoon sun hung high in the sky as Princess Clementine urged her trusty steed, Klondike, forward through the palace gates. How dare her father, King Bocephus, pledge her hand to the oafish Duke Cornelius. Did he think so little of her, his youngest daughter, that he found a man nearly thrice her age to be a suitable match?

     Tears began to trickle down her cheeks as she remembered being prodded as if she were a prized heifer on the auction block. The man was not homely by any means, one might even say he was decent looking for a man his age and yet, he made her skin crawl. His calloused and battle scarred hands pawing and groping at her, and his mead laden breath and roughly chapped lips stealing her first kiss sickened her. The Duke had no real need for her, surely she was too young for him as he had children older than her by at least a few years. No, it was her innocence that was his prize and she knew it.

     Her eldest sister, Penelope, had already been married off and Jacinda should have been next to be 'bartered off', yet Jacinda had become far too enchanted with a stable hand and was deflowered two months later and subsequently dumped. Jacinda, in the eyes of the Duke, was now considered damaged goods, leaving the way for this lecherous fiend to lay claim to Clementine's hand. She was not having it, so she made her decision to leave her family and the life she had once loved.

     Her thoughts drifted back to the path now laid before her and at her behest, Klondike raced for the cover of the forest. Princess Clementine knew the guards would be searching for her by now, it had been hours since the dawn broke the horizon, and the Northern forest, while not the safest choice, was the only way to avoid notice. She had never before ventured into the dense woods, always the mindful daughter, never stepping a toe out of line, taking her fathers decrees to heart. And look where that has gotten me! She thought as she trudged forward.

     The forest was full of gypsies, vagrants, scoundrels and thieves, or so she had been told growing up to scare her. Clementine slowed her steed to an easy trot as she entered the shadowy cloak of the forest. Her golden locks lay in wind blown tangles cascading down her back and her tear stained cheeks felt sticky and cold.

     Princess Clementine's racing heart slowed to a steady thrum as she took in the beauty of the woods. "Oh Klondike! How could something so beautiful ever harbor the evils father spoke of?" The vibrant greens and muted browns of the tall spruce and lodgepole pine trees emmitted a calming aura that enveloped Clementine as she inhaled the heady scent of pine that wafted through the air and allowed it to soothe her heavy thoughts.

     The crunch of small pebbles and twigs beneath Klondike's hooves were the only sounds outside of the birds that chirped happily, high upon the boughs that swayed gently in the midsummer breeze. Her excitement grew as the beauty of the woods mesmerized her. A smile stretched wide on her face as she realized she had made it farther than she ever expected.

     The gentle sound of water flowing caught her attention as she rounded the bend and happened upon a gently flowing stream. Clementine dismounted her steed and lead him to the shoreline to quench his thirst.

     "Drink up old friend, we have much distance to put betwixt us and my condemnation," she whispered to her companion while patting his neck as he stooped to drink the cool offerings the stream provided.

     Raucous laughter pierced the air and Clementine froze where she stood.

     The sound of several heavy footsteps filled the air and a twinge of fear sparked within Clementine. She grabbed for Klondike's loose reins and cautiously steered the beast further into the surrounding flora. Through a gap in the foliage she spied a group of four men, all of which were of a large stature and quite menacing. Swords hung in sheaths at their belts and she realized the error of her plan.

     She was a lady, and not just any lady, but the youngest daughter of the king, and a valuable prize to anyone who aimed to send a message to the kingdom. She traveled alone and unprotected which was obviously a huge flaw in her escape plan.

     Great Clem. Escape the clutches of Duke Cornelius only to be defiled by the scoundrels that dwell in the forest. Was the thought that spun through her mind as she came to the realization of just how completely vulnerable she was at this moment.

   Silently she watched as the men sidled up to the bank of the stream and replenished their waterskins, laughing and carrying on about how they would find some outlaw, they called Buchannon, and bring him to justice. "He can't hide behind his father's title," One of the large men sneered, "bastard sons don't get the royal protection their daddy's lineage affords their heirs." he continued as his companions laughed heartily.

     The gentle snap of a twig sounded behind her and she nearly leapt out of her skin. A large,slightly calloused, hand pressed firmly against her mouth while a muscled arm simultaneously snaked around her waist drawing her into a hard chest. Panic bloomed within her and she struggled against the hold, her screams muffled by the pressure of that large hand.

     Warm breath tickled her ear as a deep voice spoke whisper soft, "Shh, you don't want to draw attention to yourself. Those men would love nothing more than to have their way with one as enticingly delicate as you and then snap you in half like a little twig, and enjoy doing so. They are Lord Barros' men, and they are ruthless. Now, be a good little dove and stay quiet.

     She tried to squirm out of his grasp again but was only drawn in tighter against him. "Uh, uh, uh, I would stop struggling if I were you. I could gladly offer you up as payment for safe passage through Barros' territory." His words had her halting her struggles, while her anger began to rise.

     The men completed their menial task and continued their trek leaving Clementine alone with her captor. When their boisterous chatter faded into the distance, the man slowly loosened his grip. Sensing her chance at freedom, Clementine whirled around ready to lay a good thwack against her captors face.

     As soon as her hand jetted out to make contact, a warm calloused hand snatched her by the wrist, twisting her arm behind her, drawing her in chest to heaving chest, "You are a feisty little dove, but I don't do well with anyone hitting me, so think twice before you try that again." Clementine looked up into warm chocolate eyes and her heart faltered.

     The man was handsome yes, but more ruggedly so. Dark hair swept casually over his forehead fringing just slightly in his dark eyes. He had, what appeared to once be, a straight nose that may have been on the receiving end of a fist or two. Dangerous was the word flashing in her mind and that thought intrigued and excited her. Her eyes rested for a brief moment on full lips, slightly parted and cut to his jaw, which bore the tell tale sign of a few days journey with its smattering of coarse hair, which added a bit more of a dangerous edge to his striking features.

     She tried to pull her wrist free but the man tightened his grip as his eyes roamed her face, coming to a halt, staring into her befuddled azure ones. He took one step back as he released her wrist, then another, his eyes never leaving hers, their intensity stirred something deep within her core. His brow furrowed and he shook his head as if to clear it as he turned to leave.

     Princess Clementine stood there dazed as she watched him step further into the heart of the forest. With each passing second he moved farther and farther away and she called out to him for reasons she couldn't understand.

     "Hey! Wait!"

     She gathered Klondike's reins and followed after the man, scrambling over fallen branches, vines and other various forest debris. He kept a steady pace, even though she knew he heard her calling after him.

     "Please wait! Have you no decency? To leave a lady in the woods alone! What kind of man does that?"

     "The kind of man that doesn't want any part of the trouble you're running from little dove." He yelled over his shoulder as he kept up his pace.