Rumor Has It (New Adule) - Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

Mason: 

I'd been in the beach house I'd rented for all of ten minutes and already a crazy fangirl had found me. How'd she even know I'd be here? Maybe she didn’t know. I’d parked my rental car in the garage. Either way, if my manager booked the rental under my real name he'd fucking hear about it.

I took in the sight of the girl sprawled on the bathroom tiles. It was clear she'd broken in through the window and somehow lost the lower half of her outfit in the process. I was okay with that. Her yellow thong left little to the imagination. She groaned and attempted to see through the mass of a brown ponytail.

Dealing with an overzealous groupie was nothing new to me. I'd never had an actual crazy chick pursue me, but I suppose there was bound to be a first time. My manager always warned me I needed to take my personal security more seriously. "Better safe than sorry" he'd say, and I guess he was right.

“You okay?” I asked.

She didn't say anything but slowly moved into a sitting position. She wore a fitted blouse so I could see she wasn't packing any weapons. Unless a pair of full C cups counted. She lifted her head and her long ponytail swung out of her face, revealing a set of doe-brown eyes. They didn't appear to be fully focused.

“The cops are on their way,” I said.

That got her attention. Her eyes widened and she scrambled to use the lid on the toilet to hoist herself upright. On her feet, she gripped the marble counter beside her. Her orange toenail polish practically glowed. My gaze traveled up the olive skin of her legs to the apex of her thighs. Her entire body stiffened. The show was over.

“Oh god,” she said. She whirled to grab at the skirt hanging from the window and gave it a few good yanks. It didn’t budge. She must have realized she was on display because she whipped around. I guess she didn’t like me taking in the view. She eyed the towel rack and hastily grabbed one of the plush towels, wrapping it around her waist.

“Maybe you should worry less about your skirt and more about what’s gonna happen when the cops get here.” I don’t know why she was being so modest. What was the point of breaking into my place if she hadn’t planned on letting me in her pants? Hell, if it was a few years ago I would’ve been happy to see her.

The color drained from her face and for a moment I felt bad. But as cute as she was I didn't want to give this chick any reason to think she'd be welcome during my stay. I didn’t need an obsessive groupie trying to insert herself into my life. I was here for one reason only. Relax before my next tour began and find out why the hell a guy who supposedly had it all wasn’t content with his life.

“You called the cops?” she asked sounding panicked.

“Wouldn't you?”

“I didn't break in. Honest!”

I looked from her, to the open window and back and raised a brow.

“No really! I'm from Beachside Realty,” she said.

“Sure you are.”

“The housekeeper was here earlier and she locked the key inside. My boss told me you wouldn't be here yet and I was trying to get the key so I could put it back in the lockbox for you.”

“Well, if you're a Realtor, show me your card.”

She blanched. “I didn't say I was a Realtor. I said I'm from the real estate office. I'm a secretary.”

“You expect me to believe you don’t know who I am?”

She appeared genuinely confused. Maybe she was for real. “Should I? My boss didn’t give me a name, unless your real name is client.”