Chapter 33: Christmas Part 2

Our Christmas dinner turned out perfectly, mostly thanks to Harry. If I had attempted it on my own, I'm sure we would have had to call the fire department. The upside, however, was that I'd been learning some things from Harry so hopefully I could transform into a good cook. I'd had my mother's instruction all my life, but I took it for granted and didn't retain much. Now that Harry was teaching me, I had an authentic desire to learn. The idea of cooking for Harry had unexpectedly swept over me the past few months, whereas before, I couldn't care less what landed in my own mouth, as long as it was quick and easy.

We ate our formal dinner quite early, as was the tradition in my family, but also because we then had time to Skype with Harry's family in England before it got too late there.

I was glad to virtually meet Gemma. I was shocked at how much she looked like Harry, and even more shocked at how well they get along. She seemed to know everything that was going on with him, asking him all sorts of questions about finding a job and putting his house on the market; in other words, recent things. I had no idea they kept in touch so closely since Harry didn't talk about her much.

"So, Regan," Gemma spoke to me after grilling Harry at length. "Are you able to put up with him all right?"

"Sure," I shrugged. "I think I'll keep him around."

"Hey," he complained in childish whine.

"You look happy, Harry," she said to him.

"I am," he returned with a contented smile.

"I'm so pleased. I hated the hell you've been through the past year. You deserve something good. You both do."

In what was probably the most corny display of affection, we turned to each other simultaneously and kissed, just enough to make Gemma shout, "Okay, enough with the visuals. I hope to see you kids soon!" She blew a big kiss and Harry's parents took center stage.

"Hello, my darlings," Anne said. "Merry Christmas." Robin's voice melded with hers as he echoed, "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you as well," Harry said. "Miss you."

"Oh, darling, we miss you too," she pouted. She honestly reminded me of my own mom with her unguarded affection for Harry, and now for me, too. "So we have one more surprise for you, kind of a late Christmas and early birthday gift combined."

Harry looked intrigued. "You didn't have to do anything else. What you sent was plenty."

"Well too bad because we've already bought the tickets," Robin said, keeping a very straight face while Anne's face transformed into a glowing smile.

"Tickets?" Harry said excitedly, but I could tell he was trying to hold back.

"We're coming for your birthday," Anne cried out happily, clasping her hands together.

"Really?" His face shone sheer delight.

"Yes," Anne answered. "I believe we land on the 27th and we'll stay through til mid-February, if that's all right with you."

"Fine, of course." Harry was nodding emphatically and I was so happy he would get to see his family soon. "There is one thing, however. I'm going to sell the house. You're welcome to stay there if it hasn't sold yet, but I'm going to put it on the market first thing in January."

"So soon?" Robin asked.

"Yes, Regan and I did a fair amount of cleaning, as we told you, and I brought several boxes over to the Metlers. And they want to come and look through her things at the house as well. I have no need for an antique china set, really, so they might as well have it."