Chapter 2: Got My Game On:)

"Get up!", my mom yelled sleepily along with the buzzing of my alarm clock. I slowly sat up and replied with a smile,"I'm up and I had the BEST dream last night." "Good. Now get ready for school." What my mom didn't know was it was Saturday. But I got up anyways and went outside. It was about 7:00 so my world was pretty much awake. It was kinda cold so I went inside to find my jacket. By the time I found it, put it on, and went outside, it warmed up and I didn't need it anymore. But when I did walk outside, my bushes started moving. I kinda freaked for a minute until I saw my crush (who is also my next door neighbor) Jake, walk out from behind them with a baseball and glove in his hands.

"Oh, hey Alex. Sorry if I scared you, but I had to get my ball.", he said flashing a great smile. I couldn't help but smile and blush.

"Oh, it's fine. Do you mind if I join you? I have a glove in my house."

"We do need one more player and..."

"Wait, who is we?"

"Oh, just me and the guys. We are doing five per team but need one more player to even it out. But are you sure you wanna do this because, well..."

"Give me the ball then back up."

"Ok? I guess."

He tossed the ball to me and backed up about 40 yards. I threw it to him and it landed perfectly in his glove.

"Wow, Alex I really underestimated you. I'm so sorry."

"Oh, don't be. A lot of guys do. So can I play or not?"

"Are you kidding me? After that throw of course... if you can catch." He backed up again and we threw it back and forth. Then he led me to a baseball diamond. There were eight guys waiting impatiently. Duke, Harold, Nate, Aaron, Matt, Adam, Evan, and Cody. They all looked at me strangely. Like they had never seen a girl with cleats, her hair pulled up, and a baseball glove on her left hand.

"What is she doing here? Are you gonna be the cheerleader?" Duke teased. Duke is Jake's best friend.

I backed up, threw the ball to him, and he caught it. Then, I gave him a little grin.

"You can throw little cheerleader, but can you catch?" Nate questioned. "Throw me the ball Duke. Ok peppy, I'm gonna throw it to you first, then I'll hit it to you. If you catch it at least once, I'll approve of your catching."

I did what none of them expected, except for Jake because he knew I could play. The first time, I caught the ball. The second time, it was a pop fly hit me in the mouth. It left marks on my face and my lip started bleeding, but I was fine and acted as if it were a little skinned knee. It didn't hurt and I kept going, asking if he were gonna hit another ball. They all looked at me as if I were crazy.

Evan broke the silence and awe of all of the guys. "Are you kidding?!?! You just got popped in the mouth by a baseball going like 60 miles per hour!!! And your not crying?!?!"

I shook my head and simply replied,"No, why would I cry? It's hurting a little like a pinch, but not bad enough to cry."

"I think she should play. She's tough, can catch, and throw. What more does she need to do?" Aaron said.

"How do you hit?" Harold asked.

"I can show you better than I can tell you." I giggled as I picked up a pretty nice sized bat.

"I think that's a challenge." Cody shouted and picked up the ball and threw it to Adam.

"Easy-out!" Matt shouted.

I guess we were really playing and I was in.

I picked up my bat and got ready to hit. The first two throws I let slip past me to keep them interested. The third was a perfect throw. I swung and listened to that beautiful crack of the bat I had heard so many times, but the sound never gets old. It was hit out of the park. I gracefully and slowly skipped to all the bases. And when I arrived at each base, I bent down, touched it with one finger and went to frolicking again. They all really underestimated me. Bet that's the last time they'll do that.