Confessions Chapter 42 Redemption

Confessions

Chapter 42

Redemption

“It’s okay, baby don’t cry, it’s going to be okay, I promise.”

My mother was holding me running her fingers through my hair as I cried like a baby. I couldn’t stop myself from crying. It seemed like everything that had happened had been my fault. I mean I knew that this battle between Victoria and the other angels wasn’t my fault it had been happening since before time itself, but the stuff with my friends was my fault. My head kept trying to tell me it was Victoria’s fault that I had no control over the situation but my heart refused to believe it.

“Cat, honey, you’ve got to calm down, there isn’t a lot of time and there’s a lot left that you don’t know.” Mom spoke still trying to be soothing.

“What does it matter mom they’re all dead?” I started crying harder as I said it, it hurt worse to say it out loud.

“Honey, it matters more than you could ever know, it’s not to late to save them.”

Those words, were impossible. I felt my heart start to feel hope but I refused to let it. I couldn’t save them it was already to late.

“Mom, they’re dead it’s already to late.” I sobbed into her shoulder.

“No it’s not Cat.”

Lucian’s voice shook me, may be it might be okay to feel a little hope even if it was just a little. I felt myself look up and into his eyes. Then I remembered that he had released me from my contract my wings were gone so why would he even want to help me.

“Why?” I asked showing him my wrist.

“It’s complicated but I am not a cruel man, you deserve vengeance and the contract wouldn’t allow it. I removed the contract so that you might have a choice in the matter.”

This confused me, if he removed the contract then my child would be free and so would my mom.

“The contract is still there but it’s actually up to you whether or not you fulfill it.” He paused, “Vengeance isn’t part of it, forgiveness is, however, I don’t believe you can forgive her for what she’s done or what they’ve done.” He gestured towards the Stace and M.B. look a likes.

I looked a them. I had already figured out killing them wasn’t the way, I wouldn’t do more of what Victoria had started, there had already been too much death. It was that realization that made me finally begin to understand something I should have already known. Violence and death wasn’t the way. Dom had been trying to show me that in the painting but I hadn’t understood it until now. As much as it hurt me to lose the ones I loved the most in this world if I retaliated with vengeance, what good would it do, it would just be more bloodshed and death. I already had enough blood on my hands. I would not add more. I only had one question left.

I looked at Lucian, “If I decided to go ahead and kill them and Victoria, not that I think I can with the contract broken, what happens to my child?”

“The child will remain a lost soul and if Victoria doesn’t kill me then she will live out her existence with me and your mother, if your mother chooses to stay with me.” The last part was said looking towards my mom. She wouldn’t have to stay with him if the contract was gone, but the look of pure love in her eyes told me it didn’t matter she would stay with him no matter what.

“My child couldn’t be born then and have a real chance at life?” I asked looking at him.

“No, only you can give the child a chance to be born and live the life she was supposed to.”