Chapter 6: Conner

Conner decides to go to Mug and Bean again the next morning, hopefully he can bump into that guy, not literally though like he did the other day, and maybe he can get this job. He feels that he really needs this job, to at least help his parents because he knew they were struggling. Even though they didn't know that he had discovered that they have been having financial problems. His parents had said that he didn't need to get a job but he insisted and they let him. He wonders if this was the reason they had moved here as well. Maybe his parents have a chance of getting a little more money than they had before. He didn't really know because his parents didn't like him worrying about it. When he arrives at Mug and Bean he finds a comfortable booth and orders that delicious chocolate milkshake. When Liam spots him he gives a small wave and Liam starts to walk over to the booth.

"What's up bro?" Liam says while sticking out his hand to Conner to give him a fist pump.

"Hey Liam"

Liam takes a seat across from Conner and Conner gives him a questioning expression.

"Hey I work hard I think I'm allowed to take a two second break every now and then," Liam says while laughing at Conner's expression.

"Alright dude just don't blame me if you get fired" Conner laughs back.

"So I was wondering if you were able to talk to the owners yet about me coming to work here?" Conner asks.

"Yeah bro I did yesterday, you should get a response soon, don't worry about it I'm sure you will get the job," Liam replies.

Conner liked how confident Liam was about basically everyhing and knew that something positive would come his way.

"Thanks!" Conner says.

"So have you just moved here or what dude? 'Coz I have never seen you before?" Liam asks and Conner is shocked at his complete honesty and ease to talk to a stranger.

"Yeah I moved here like a few weeks ago from Cape Town" Conner replies.

"Oh cool man, how have you found it so far?" Liam asks.

"It's different I must say, I need to get used to it I guess," Conner says with a thoughtful tone.

"But the people are quiet friendly here, which I didn't expect." Conner adds in quickly with a laugh.

"Yes we definitely are!" Liam booms whilst getting up.

"I must get back to work, don't feel like getting fired," he says with a wink and laughs.

"See you later," Conner says.

"See ya" Liam says and walks off.

Conner's milkshake came at that time and he takes a sip of it. This is definitely his new favourite milkshake. He pays the bill once he finishes and walks out to the parking lot to his mother's car.

He decides to drive past the beach on the way home and see what it was like. It was late in the afternoon and there are only a few people on the beach when he arrives. He gets out of the car, throws his shoes on the front seat and closes up. He walks down the steps and onto the beach. When his feet touch the sand he sighs and stands still to smell the salty air that he loves so much. He really does love the beach. He walks all the way down to the water and starts walking along the beach where the sand meets the refreshing water. There are people surfing and swimming in the sea, a few children running around and it looks like there is a bonfire starting with some young teens looking around for wood. As Conner continues walking further and further there are less people around. It gets more deserted with every twenty steps. He spots a place away from the water where there is also a little shade and looks really comfortable and walks towards it. As he sits down something big and black knocks right into him and he falls onto his back. He feels something lick his face and as he opens his eyes he sees two big eyes staring back at him. He gently pushes the dog off of him and sits back up.

"Hello there," he says to the dog.

The dog wags his tail and barks. Conner laughs and rubs the dog behind its ears.

"What's your name fella? Who do you belong to?" Conner asks while still rubbing the dog.

He notices two figures slowly walking towards his direction. As they get closer he notices that it is an elderly couple walking hand in hand towards him. When they reach him the lady comes over and calls the dog.

"I'm so sorry that he was bothering you dear," she apologises in a sweet voice.

"Oh he wasnt bothering me, he is quiet a friendly dog" Conner replies while standing up.

"Gray wouldnt hurt a fly," the man says with a laugh.

"Im sure he wouldnt," Conner replies with a slight nervous laugh.

While looking at he couple he realises there is something familiar about them but couldnt quite put his finger on it.

"Well goodbye dear," the woman says with a sweet smile and the couple wave a goodbye to Conner.

Conner waves back and sits down for a while longer while the couple and their dog continue down the beach. He decides it was time to head back to the car.

When he gets home he is still thinking why that lady looked so familiar to him but he knows he has never met her because they have just moved there. He decides to let the thought go because he sees no answer to that question.

He decides to finally set up his PlayStation and play some games. It has been sitting in a box for these few days and he is starting to really miss playing his games. He goes to the kitchen to get some chips and a can of coke and returns to his bedroom. He plays Call of Duty until just after 12 and he decides he better go to bed otherwise he might not be in the best of moods the next morning. He goes out to get a glass of water and notices that his siblings have all gone to bed and his parents were in the lounge. It was good that they now have time to spend with each other because these past few years have not been the easiest because they have been so busy. They were watching some chick flick his mother had probably chosen and he laughs to himself and feels sorry for his dad. He walks past the lounge and says goodnight to his parents. He makes his way to the bathroom to take a quick shower, brushes his teeth and then goes off to bed.