Paradigm Shift

The wind. The birds. The beauty of the sunset.

These were few of the man’s favorite things. To Hillary, there was nothing compared to soaring through the open air with the wings you were born with. It would’ve been just another Friday night but to Hillary, that day could either change the entire faith of mankind or be locked into another box of lies. Most people quit. Most people let the silence press them down, dim their screaming passion to a dull drone but Hillary wasn’t like ‘Most’ people. She wasn’t and she knew that.

After a while the stark silence of the side room drew her from her bliss, she started to remember her situation and slowly opened her eyes to reality that she wasn’t a typical teenager anymore. The situation robbed off everything. Her whole life was crammed into this.

Go, Hillary! Run,” he hissed, “Get out of here!” They did have some records but they were so flimsy, anyone who looked into it long and hard enough could find holes in it. Did they just think no one would care?  Her inhibitions were screaming to resist while her heart raced with the excitement ahead and the thrill of doing something few would approve of even if it could technically be considered science. Those inhibitions were fading with record speed.

“No! I can’t! I won’t!” she said firmly but with a stammer. Half-moons of fatigue darkened under her eyes. Her hair hung loose like strands of fire flickering at her shoulders. Her panic renewed from fear of rape, she was surprised when he moved very slowly toward her, like he was trying to calm down an animal. That made her mad, but she couldn't do anything about it now so she glared at him through her tears. She tried to at least.

“You have to do this. You’re the catalyst, Hillary. Once the truth comes out, everything will change. Many people’s lives will change. You have to get the truth out. ” he insisted.

“But … I can’t leave you both here,” Teardrops sneaked down her cheeks in shaky rows. She let them drip off her face without embarrassment.

The man rubbed his hands over his face, wishing he could say more and hoping through some miracle that Hillary would understand. Fate was really unfair to Hillary. It’s as if she always loses the chance to choose.  After all the trouble she had been through, this was all she could get? She wanted this all her life – to be with them … to be complete. But what did she get? Five minutes – only five freaking minutes. She had the right to be selfish, right?

Everywhere the crime happens she’s there, every suspect he interviews knew her and she knew who is behind these crimes. Is this woman behind this? Or is she as much as a victim as anyone else?

She was told that these people behind all these were horrifying, contorted creatures that preyed on living and dead things. That they were nothing but savage beasts and that she was no better. But she wasn't contorted.

There’s not much time left. She’s unconscious. I’m wounded. We will just slow you down, Hillary. Look at the bigger picture. You’re the only hope. It’s time someone divulge the truth. People deserve this.” His words struck her with indignation, punching each word like a shadowboxing pugilist. How could she be so self-centered? People’s lives rely on the secrets she was holding. She had to let go … let go of her personal feelings. This was for the greater good.

She took one last glance at the man and the unconscious woman in front of her. This is for them. This was for the life that was taken away from her … from them … and from the rest of the nation.

Hillary stared down for a moment and then let out a breath. “I’m scared,” she confessed as she crept out of their hiding place. The seat back was tilted like a recliner and specially angled in relation to the phallus mount point.