Chapter One

Disclaimer: For each chapter, I will include pictures of what the characters look like. For this chapter, I've included a picture of what our protagonist Ana looks like above. She looks exactly how I envisioned Ana to look from head to toe! Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy my very first story! xoxo

***

The powerful sounds of Aretha Franklins voice filled the thick silence of the olive green 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The sun went to sleep along with everyone else in the city of Benderville, but Annalise Noelle Porter was making her daily trudge back home from work at this ungodly hour. She instantly regrets telling her boss Gina that the hours she was available to work were as flexible as a cat, because she never gets any sleep due to her early morning classes the next day. Ironically enough she drove by Bender Valley College, and it looked like a small fire fly in the distance through her rearview mirror, and she wished more than anything that it would stay that way.

Arethas voice was suddenly interrupted and replaced with sound of the cellphone ringing.

ANA?! her mother Renees loud voice came through the speakers of the car.

Yeah? she replied tiredly.

Hey I know youre probably tired sweetie, but-

No duh, Ana thought to herself with an intense eye roll; both of which she wouldnt dare do in the presence of her mother.

-can you please pick up some more wine on the way home? I drank the last bit, my bad. Renee giggled.

Sure mom, the corner store or gas station? she asked.

The corner store is cheaper.

Alright Ill see you when I get home Mom, bye.

Arethas song Angel continued playing as soon as the call ended, and Ana made her way to the corner store.

Arnolds was a tiny—charming corner store less than ten minutes away from the Porters residence. Its the middle of January of the new year 2016, being no more than 20 degrees or so outside, as Ana made her hasty retreat from the car. She was immediately hit with warmth once she was inside. She made a beeline for the liquor isle and picked out the regular cheap but tasty Sweet Red Carlo Rossi wine. There were only a handful of people in the store, and being the time it was, Ana was on guard even more than she normally does.

While waiting in line, Ana felt her phone vibrating in her purse.

Who is it now? She thought.

Her best friend Lizettes face flashed across the screen and Ana hated talking on the phone in public, but she hated the thought of Lizettes annoying tirade if she didnt answer.

Hey Liz whats up? she said quietly into the phone.

¿Qué? I can barely hear you Ana, why are you whispering?

Because Im in line at the store.

Lizette groaned loudly. İAy dios mio Ana! You know, we really need to work on this anxiety of yours, because it doesnt seem like those pills are working to me if you cant even talk on the damn phone.

Ana turned down the volume on her phone, knowing there was a great chance everyone in line already heard the fiery Latina through the phone.

Ugh no comment Lizzy. Anyways, what did you want again?

Oh yeah! I wanted to ask if you go do me a huge favor? she begged.

Sure mama, what is it? Ana never hesitates to do any favors for Lizette because she never asks unless its for a very good reason.