Chapter 1

currently editing, so some parts might be a little sloppy. 

When you are gone for ten years...your best friends become strangers.

When you are gone for ten years...life isn't the same as it was when you left.

When you are gone for ten years...you start to wonder what it would be like if you never left.

-

My car jolted up and down through the dirt roads. I took in the beautiful view, the assorted colors of green filled the horizon which was lit with a golden torch of light. The soft clouds hung carelessy in the deep blue sky floating softly amoungst the sun. This place will always feel like home, I really missed it.

I wonder what they'll think when they see that the girl that sat near the lake in overalls is long gone, and instead a woman has taken her place. It's been a while, since I left this small town for the big city. I wonder what Jason will think, the last time I saw him was when I was thirteen. That was about ten years ago. It was also the first time I was in love, but I was young and naïve then.

My cell phone started screaming, I stretched my arm and went to reach for it blindly; finally coming in contact with the rectangle device.

"Hey," I greeted the person on the other side.

"Hey, babe," a deepy husky voice filled my ear, it sent chills down my spine. 

His voice is so damn sexy.

Jaso might have been my first love, but he certainly wasn't my last. A couple years ago I met the man of my dreams, a sexy and kind one, who has a steady job as a business man working for a successful law firm. I know we have a good future together and in a year when we get married, everything will fall into place. It'll be him and me forever. The thought brought a smile to my face.

"What's up?" I called back to the phone as I tried to focus on the beat down, dirt lane ahead of me.

A small sign in front of me read, now entering Millington. It has been awhile since I've traveled down these roads, most of my friends probably have forgotten about me by now or moved away. My favorite places are probably closed or gone by now. It's kind of upsetting, that all the places I grew up in can all be gone now, it's almost as if my childhood is being erased place by place.

"Just thinking about you," he replied, even through the phone he sounds so charming.

Just hearing the sound of his voice sent butterflies flying rapidly throughout my stomach.

"So I was thinking, how about we go somewhere tropical for our honeymoon?" He proposed, "like maybe Fiji or Hawaii."

I sighed, it sounded so dreamy, I could hardly retain my squeal. I'm counting down the days till I get to marry the man of my dreams.

"Sounds perfect," I answered with a grin, "As long as it's a romantic beach."

"Sure, can you hold on a second Chlo?" his tone changed quickly, he started to sound annoyed.

Something must have happened at work, I've been concerned about him lately. He has been spending a lot more time at work, I think he's stressed about the wedding. I don't like to see him overworked, it doesn't suit his personality.

"Yeah, everything okay?"

"Um, yeah babe, I guess - just some papers that I really need were misplaced.." he began explaining his problem, suddenly the line went dead for a serveral seconds. Instead of his deep voice all I could hear was the rustling of papers. "Shit, I have to go, I'll you back later."

The annoyance in his voice was clearly increasing. When things at work didn't go right, he could get pretty frustrated. I knew I should probably hang up now, before he got even more stressed.

"Okay, I love you, good luck," I said sympathetically.

"Bye," He dully ended the call.

I pressed the red button on my phone and dropped it back onto my car floor, noting he didn't say I love you back. I have learned over the past two years that there are two sides to Steven. He can be sweet and caring or cold hearted. I've mostly gotten used to it by now.

My small beat up car jumped up and down through the bumpy dirt road. My stomach turned, with every jump.