Chapter Twenty-Nine

I can't remember where this was taken! It was taken by my mum and is a nice picture

My plans to go to the city today are stopped by the arrival of the High Queen who summoned all the royals and high families to meet her. So we all stand in the hall, watching as she descends the stairs with elegance. Her soft yellow dress flows around her and her pale blonde hair hangs perfectly straight down her back. The crown sits delicately on her head, glowing in the light.

"As you know, the choosing ceremony is five months away, meaning that soon the five of you will be leaders of Shadow. It is very important that in these next few months, you are kept up to date about everything that is going on," she explains. We all nod our heads.

"I have a few spies currently residing on NightShade," she goes on to explain and our eyebrows raise. "This information is not to leave this room." We all nod our heads. "King Harrison, though powerful, does have a weakness. He doesn't understand how our magic works. His spell works on blocking our connection to our animals so we can't shift. He doesn't realise, however, that if we are already shifted it blocks the connection to the human form."

"So are you saying that all your spies are in plain sight as animals?" I ask. The queen nods her head.

"Birds, cats, dogs. All sorts," she informs us. "They have been telling as much as they can about what is happening over there. It is a very dark place. They inform me that his magic is getting stronger. They also see that many ships have been coming to his ports carrying cages covered in cloth so what's inside can't be seen. They believe that it may be humans or vampires, stolen from their lands and being magically experimented on to create new warriors, though we can't be sure." She sighs softly. "We have also had some information that one of his warriors has smuggled his way into our lands." At that statement, she looks at me. "We believe that it is his right-hand man and warrior leader. He is just known as the Kings Assassin. Somehow, he has got through the protection of our borders and is now hunting Isla."

"Why Isla?" Iona asks with a frown.

"Because she is being crowned queen of her lands this week, which will make all of the Dragoheirs stronger," Lady Indira explains.

"Other information that is very important, is that the NightShades have developed a new weapon. After realising that the Element Curse no longer has an effect on the Dragoheirs, they've created something with black magic. This is called Blackroot. It is woven into all their weapons and is very dangerous. In the form of a thick black goo, it is almost alive. It stops any connection to our animals and powers and is extremely poisonous. If in your system too long, it will kill you. Slowly and painfully. If even cut with a small bit, it will grow and root it's self into your body so it is harder and harder to remove." She stops and the room is silent as everyone takes everything in. "Not only does it block your magic, it also tears your insides apart. It is evil stuff."

"Security around Shadow is being tightened and Isla, I suggest you don't go anywhere alone. Omar is coming to the school to lead all the security here," I smile, excited to see Omar again.