II

The sun was soon taken over by the rain, dampening Lina's hair again as she ran home. Occasionally, she turned back just to see if anyone was following her. She could swear she heard someone call her name, but the voice was too deep to be the redheads. It sent a surge of fear through to her solar plexus and her stomach churn. Ocean blues soon came in contact with the number of her door as she slowed to a walk, trotting up to the door and opening it as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. However, she still took caution stepping inside.

"How was school today, sweet pea?" asked her mother, making Lina jump and scream. Her mother never called her sweet pea. It connotated with girliness, which was something Lina was not. She hardly ever wore makeup, exchanged dresses for shorts, jeans or baggy trousers and participated in academia that was male dominated. Lina and her mother exchanged some sort of glance, Lina's face looking as if she were a deer in headlights. Her mother's, however, wore a sickly sweet guise that instilled fear into Lina. Lina had never been afraid of her mother, even when she had failed tests. Now, the fear was replaced by an irrational feeling of sickness. Peeling herself slowly from the door, her eyes plastered on her mother, Lina walked around her.

"It was...fine. What's with the nickname, mum?" Lina asked, staring at the never changing expression of her mother's face.

"I just want you to know you're my sweet," her mother stated, the word sweet rolling off her tongue as if she were trying to word into something the adjective described. "Little. Girl."

Lina stared at her mother as she picked a pea out of the bag, blue eyes following the green vegetable as her mother plucked it from the bag. "And," she began, examining the pea. "As crushable," her mother continued, beginning to apply pressure to the pea before crushing it, saying; "as a pea."

It was all she needed to know that this Louisianna Kincardine was not the real Louisianna Kincardine. Dropping her bag, she bolted away from her mother, running up the stairs to her room. As soon as she reached it, she yanked the door open, slamming it behind her and pressing her back to it as she stepped in. She could hear her fake mother's footsteps climbing up the stairs, then feel her trying to open the door. Slamming her back against it, Lina could practically feel the negative vibe her mother was giving off. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead from fear. So many questions ran through Lina's head. Was something possessing her mother? Was her mother crazy? Was her mother dead? What about Susana Lyn?

A sudden jolt made Lina fly into the wall, hitting her head hard against it that her vision blurred. A hand rested on her head as a sick feeling began to rise in Lina's throat. A concussion. Through the blurriness of her vision, Lina could see black blood spill from fangs that her fake mother bore. Suddenly, a flash of white light tore through the creature's neck, leaving it headless. Lina didn't get to see who had saved her life as she had blacked out.

***

If she hadn't have woken up in a place surrounded by black and white candles as a source of light and black walls and ceilings and floors then she could have deducted it all as a bad dream. Her head still felt sore from where she had hit it. Reaching a hand up to her head, Lina tuned into the voices down the hall.

"It was about to kill her." defended a voice that sounded English, but not English. Another deep one vibrated through the air. It wasn't so deep that it sounded like Calypso in Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End but as deep as a man's voice could go.

"You could have died, Ewan. Now, I'm going to go and see to your comrades. You can check on Rosalina. Bring her to me in half an hour." they had said. There was no more communication between the two males before one with blond hair and blue-green eyes strolled in, eyes landing on the ravenette.