5.1

A/N: Here's an early update for my wonderful readers because you guys are the best ;)

-

01 - 24 - 2089

The loading bay is a huge, almost cavernous, room with several machines filling up the space. Some of them are running, but I can't guess what their purpose is. Several guards sit around the machines, talking or loading things into the machines. I scroll my eyes over them and then to the far end of the room. An exit. Large panels are open on the wall, allowing darkness to pool at the edge of the doors.

I stare out into the inky blackness, mesmerized. It's so... dark. Darker than I had imagine it would be. Where are the stars? And the moon? I thought they came out at night...

A loud buzzing fills the cavern, startling me from my thoughts. I dig my nails into the fleshy palm of my hand, trying to focus. How do I get across the room to the exit? And more importantly, how can I do it quickly? The alarm has sounded, meaning that everything will be going on lockdown. I only have a few minutes.

Then the panels begin to shift. Dread pools in my stomach, grabbing at me with it's sharp claws. The doors are closing. Scratch that; I have less than a minute.

I don't think; I react. I run from my hiding spot behind some crates near the hallway I exited from and sprint towards the closing doors. I hear shouts behind me as I maneuver around the machines, surprising the guards standing there. They don't think to grab me as I rush by them, thankfully.

But as I pass them, I know they are making chase, which pushes me to go even faster. I pump my arms and legs, suddenly grateful for the lightweight clothing I'm wearing. Although I do wish I had something on my feet. But it's too late to go find something now. I don't have time for anything, but reaching the exit.

The panels lower further, leaving only a couple of feet left open. I run faster. The shouts grow more frenzied. I hear some pops behind me, then things start whizzing past me. Some sort of flying needles. Whatever they are, they can't be good.

More pops. A dart whizzes right past my ear and I suck in a breath. Too close. Way too close.

Two feet. I'm still too far away; I won't make it.

Less than a foot. Almost there...

It's closing too fast. No! I urge my body to go faster, but my legs are maxed out. I can see it almost in slow motion, and realize that there is no way I can get through it in time.

Just as that thought echoes through my mind, I run into the heavy panel with a thud. It slides closed completely. My last hope for escape... gone.

I sink to the floor, exhaustion pouring into my brain as the adrenaline leaves. My heart aches in frustration and I pound at the doors with my fists until they are red. "No..." I moan. "No! Open up. Let me out!" This can't be happening. I was so close. How could I have failed?

I sob, knowing there is no hope for escape now. The footsteps approach; they come to a stop. Then a I hear a pop and a dart hits me.

I have one last thought before I black out. I failed.

-

I wake up in my room, lying on my bed. Barr stands over me, carefully bandaging my knuckles and hands. I blink, trying to remember what happened. Then it comes to me. I tried to escape and I failed.

I yank my hand out of Barr's and clutch it to my chest. He meets my gaze, his own a picture of sadness. Barr shakes his head and reaches for my hand again, but I don't relent. I keep my hands pressed tightly to me. I can hardly look at him.

"Gis..."

"No, you don't get to talk." I sit up, pushing past the nausea I feel. Probably side effects from whatever they used to knock me out. My stomach heaves, trying to relent itself of the contents. But I swallow it back, not enjoying the acidic taste that fills my mouth.

I steel myself and cross my arms. "You... are a liar," I croak. My throat's so dry, like sandpaper. I swallow, trying to ease the gritty feeling.

Barr stares at me for several seconds, his expression hard to read. His lips twitch slightly and turn downwards. "I'm sorry," he says, starting slowly, cautiously. Like he's afraid I'll bolt. Well, I don't blame him. I'm not exactly in a talking mood right now.

"No, you're not," I snap. My eyes flick to the closed door behind him, then back to Barr. He catches my gaze; his hands tighten into fists.

"Gis, you weren't supposed to hear all that back there."

"So you were just gonna keep lying to me?" I raise my eyebrows, incredulous. The anger at being lied to still burns within me. I don't even try to quell the flame. And the fact that he doesn't even try to apologize for lying to me makes my anger grow. I thought he cared for me. I thought perhaps... somehow, he was my friend. But I see now how twisted that thought was.

"No, it's not that."

"Then what is it? Because what I heard, and I'm sure Cade told you all about it, is that I'm not even human. Is that I'm just an experiment to you guys. Nothing more." My voice is laced with spite. Good, I think. Let him know how angry I am.

"Calm down," Barr warns, his voice low. He reaches for me, but I slap his hands away and climb off the bed, skirting past him.

"No, I'm not controllable. I'm human, and I'm my own person," I growl, stalking over to the door. But before I can reach it, Barr grabs my arm, gripping it tight. I try to yank away, but he doesn't let go, turning me to face him.

"Let go!" I use my free hand to try and pry his grip off.

"Gis, you have to calm down. Please."

"For the last time, no!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I wrench my arm out of his grasp and pound my fists against his chest, trying to push him away. Trying to do something. I feel so helpless. I want to decide my own fate, not have it decided for me by a bunch of doctors and scientists. I don't want to be just an experiment, even if I'm meant to save the world. I don't want it.

The door hisses open as I struggle with Barr. I can tell he isn't using his full strength against me, instead trying to calm me down. But I won't be pacified.

Another set of hands grab me, this one rougher, less caring. Together, the hands who belong to an orderly pull me over to my bed with Barr's help. But I writhe the whole time, not making it easy. I kick out with all my strength, since my hands are immobilized, and land a solid foot into the orderly's leg. He grunts, hissing out in anger, but it only causes him to tighten his grip.

Together, Barr and the orderly press me down onto the bed. They work at securing my hands to padded straps that lie on either side of the bed. When I realize what they are doing, I strengthen my efforts to get them to release me.

"Stop!" I scream. "Let go of me!"

"Gis," Barr hisses in my ear, his tone angry now too. "Stop. You are only making this worse. We can't let you go. Now calm down."

Once my hands are strapped down, the orderly and Barr strap my legs down to the mattress as well. Only once I'm completely tied down do I relax, realizing that squirming won't help me now. Instead, I opt to glare at Barr with as much hate as I can muster. I force all my anger into the glare, trying to convey what words can't.

Something pricks into my side. My eyes fly to the source of pain in time to see the orderly injecting a small syringe into my stomach.

"What are you--" But I can't finish the thought. As the liquid enters my bloodstream, I feel it making me sluggish. Peaceful.

The anger slips away, and I feel like I'm on a cloud. My worries wash away until all that is left is to be calm; to be relaxed. It feels good. And I don't feel like I need to be angry anymore.

I see the sun. Its golden rays reach out for me; I try to touch them, but my hand goes right through. I'm free. I walk in the sunshine, smelling green grass and gazing up in wonder at what looks to be white, fluffy clouds. Everything is so peaceful. I could get used to this.

-