Prologue

"Hello, is this Sophie Adams?"

"Yes," I said, confused.

"My name is Micheal Deacon from the social services office. I'm calling regarding Elliot Seawall." My heart started racing at the mention of his name.

"Is he okay?" I gasped.

"He is, yes. I'm sorry to inform you that his adoptive parents were involved in a fatal car accident. Elliot has been with child services. It says in the adoption agreement that you and Nathan Morris have been named Elliot's guardian."

"I'm sorry; what does this mean?"

"Elliot is back in your custody. You can choose to keep him, or he can go to foster care."

"Have you contacted Nathan yet?"

"I have not."

"Okay. I'm sorry my head is spinning."

"That is understandable. We can meet at my office and discuss this further. I will also get a hold of Mr. Morris."

"Can I call him instead?"

"Yes. If you both are available, I can meet you both in my office tomorrow."

"Thank you. I will see you tomorrow."

I thanked him again before hanging up the phone. Tomorrow I might get to see my little boy again. I walked into my room, where I had a picture from the day he was born. The little man was curled up on his daddy's chest.

I have not spoken to Nathan since Elliot was a few months old. Elliot is now almost four years old. I sighed, hovering over his name before dialing his number. 

"Hello."

"Nathan, uh, it's Sophie." I sighed.

"Soph?" he gasped, sounding shocked.

"Please don't hang up. We have to talk about something."

"What's going on?"

"I just got off the phone with child protective services. Elliot's parents were in a fatal car accident. He is fine, but he is in custody services. We are..."

"His guardians."

"Yes. We are supposed to meet his case manager tomorrow. I know it is short notice and everything."

"I'm in Florida for training. I can try like hell to get out there, but I don't know if I can make it there in time."

"I can call you in if that's what you want." He sighed. I could picture him running his fingers through his hair. 

"Soph?"

"Yeah."

"What are we going to do?"

"We're going to figure it out and be his parents."

"I'm sorry, I have to go. Call me tomorrow after the meeting."

"I will."

***

"I'm here to see Michael Deacon. My name is Sophie Adams." I said to the receptionist. I fidgeted with my fingers, waiting for a response from her.

"Follow me." I nodded, following the woman to the back. I'm so nervous about all of this.

"Sophie, please have a seat. I'm Michael." He gestured for the seat next to his desk

"Thank you." I sat down, looking around the room.

"Thank you for coming in on such short notice."

"Of course. I talked to Nathan, and he is in Florida for baseball." He nodded as he pulled Elliot's file out. 

"You two were aware that you were listed as guardians, correct?"

"Yes, but of course, this was the last thing we thought would happen," I whispered, looking around as the nerves started to kick in.

"I know this is a difficult time, but you have a decision to make."

"We want him back." I blurted out before he could finish his sentence.

"I'm sorry I'm a little out of sorts. I don't want him to end up in foster care or anywhere else."

"Okay, we just have to go over some paperwork, and he will be able to go home with you today."

"Today?" I gasped, looking at him in shock. 

"Yes." He smiled.

"Elliot is now back in your care. Of course, you are overwhelmed with everything and don't have things for him. His things will be sent to your place. They also left money for him. He, of course, is very young. When he turns twenty-five, he will be able to access that money. If something like this was going to happen, they wanted to make sure he would be okay. They are leaving you five thousand dollars to start."

"This is for real?" Yet, it still feels like this is a dream.

"Yes, they wanted to make sure you guys were going to be set up."

"I can't believe this."

"I'll let you process this; then we can see him." I nodded, trying to figure out everything. I wish Nathan were here with me. After a little bit, Micheal came back.

"You ready to see your son?" I nodded my head, following him over to the window. Looking in the window, I saw a little boy playing with blocks. That little boy was my little boy. He had brown hair that matched Nathans's. His little features matched mine, but I could see bites of Nathan in him as well.

"Elliot, I would like you to meet someone." He turned around, and I got down on my knees. He came over, looking so confused.

"Elliot, this is Sophie, and you will be staying with her," Micheal told him. He looked so scared. I want to wrap him in my arms and tell him everything will be okay.

"Hey, buddy. I know you're a little scared, but everything will be okay. How about we go have some dinner, then go home?"

"Where's my mommy?" he frowned, looking around as his eyes filled with tears.  My heart shattered in pieces knowing he was in pain.

"She went to heaven with your daddy. They sent me to you so I can take care of you. Your mommy and daddy were in a bad accident where they got hurt." I tried to explain to him, hoping he would feel some comfort. 

"I go with you."

"Yes, and I promise I will love you and take care of you." I took his hands in mine.  He nodded, looking me in the eyes. Before I knew it, his little arms were wrapped around my neck. My arms wrapped around his little body, holding him for the first time since birth.