Chapter 13

Rose closed her eyes for a moment and savored the way the wind brushed through her hair. This was the first time in almost three weeks she was able to run through her regular route and would probably be the last of the year. After the first big snowfall she would have to make use of her gym membership instead of the scenic route she had come to love. The gym was nice too though. It was air conditioned in the summer and heated nicely in the winter, and the equipment they supplied far surpassed her 20lb. weights at home. But there was something about taking the trails in the park head on, pushing herself up the hills and letting the breeze run through her hair like it was right now. That was something the gym couldn't give her. When she opened her eyes she looked up at the clear blue sky and a small shy smile made its way onto her face; reminding her of Dr. Marshals', Blake's, familiar crystal eyes, and her face reddened a bit when she remembered the way he had chased after her.

She had never had a man chase after her, let alone make the first move. It made her stomach churn. The thought of being desired definitely wasn't unwelcomed, especially when it was coming from a handsome and intelligent man.

Rose rounded the corner, her house coming back into view. By the time she reached her front steps she was completely out of breath; and the clouds of precipitation she puffed out showed it. She had no idea that that short hiatus would ruin her endurance the way it did. But the burn in her lungs was good because it showed improvement and she felt more in shape because of it. Pulling out a light set of keys she unlocked her front door and made her way inside, met with a cozy warmth. Mia was already at work so she was left by herself to get the house cleaned up before starting her writing.

Kicking off her shoes she trudged herself further inside, her knees weak and feeling like Jell-O. There was no way that five miles had rung her so dry. But it had and she collapsed onto her carpeted floor, placing the palm of her hand on her stomach, concentrating on her breathing. But before she had the chance to really submerge herself she heard her phone go off in her bedroom and she hoisted herself up, jogging her way to it before the call was lost.

The caller ID was unknown and she wiped the hair away from her face before picking up.

"Hello?" Rose stuttered out, trying her best to compose herself.

"Rose?" The sound of his voice made the brunette bite back a smile and she cupped her elbow with her other hand, beginning to pace around the room.

"Hi."

"Hi." He repeated; she could hear the smolder in his voice.

I thought you'd never call. She wanted to say but resisted, she didn't want to sound too desperate, even though her heart leapt at the mere thought of him. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" She decided on. It didn't sound too excessive but still showed she was glad about his call.

"Well I was just thinking about you and how-" Thinking about me. This time a smile did come and she had no intention of resisting it. He had been thinking about her and at that moment that's all that mattered. "So I figured what the heck." She heard him finish. Wait. What?

Rose's cheeks tinted red. "I'm sorry; I only caught the tail end of that."

"You do like to make me suffer don't you?" She could hear the smile in his voice but she was still confused on what they were even talking about. "Rose, I'm asking you out. Do you understand? I want to go on a date with you."

Rose let dead air play over the line, taken back, and butterflies erupted in her stomach. She knew him hunting her down for her phone number wasn't simply platonical. But hearing his words out loud made her blush. It was as if she hadn't even given it a serious thought.