Chapter 1

What would have happened if Tris hadn't died in Allegiant? By the way, I know I may obsess over this book, but trust me there's a reason (hint: read the book). I do not own any of the characters in the Divergent Series.

CHAPTER ONE

TRIS POV

Before I pass out from the pain in my stomach, I see my mother, reaching out to me. I have done the inevitable. I have survived so many things, I can't even count.

I awake in the laboratory, the memory serum canister empty, the air misty and gloomy. I stand up, though the pain in my side prohibits me from doing much. Then, I see him. Caleb, my brother. Despite all the things he has done to me, I embrace him. He has always been there for me. Suddenly, tears spring from my eyes.

"I saw her," I say.

"I know," he answers. Are we dead? Am I dead? Has my pivotal life finally come to an end?

I look through blurry eyes at the empty, dismantled room. I can't do this any longer. I need to be strong. I need to be Dauntless.

I need to be Divergent.

                                                                                      +++

Somehow, I appear in a hospital bed. The pain in my side is excruciating. I was never supposed to experience anything worse than when I scraped my knee, but once again, the inevitable has happened. I look up, and there, standing over me is Cara. She has her glasses on, staring at me closely, studying me.

"I didn't think that Divergence was a bad thing, but now I see that it is not very beneficial. You aren't even able to go under anesthesia," Cara says, a strange look in her eye. Then I realize that she is holding a knife and that I am on an operating table. I wince as I notice fresh blood oozing from my side.

Oh, that's right, I was shot. My mind is foggy, my memories fabricated and lurching in my mind. I sit up, despite the pain and extend my hand to Cara. She looks at me quizzically.

"The knife," I order. She hands it to me hesitantly. I look around the room for a garbage can. I see one in the corner of the room. I throw it, Dauntless training vivid in every one of my thoughts.

"That's what I think about your scalpel," I say, "now, would you like to try again, or are you going to let me see my family?

She looks at me again. "What family are you referring to?"

And that's when I snap. I get up and push her hard against another operating table. "Don't question me. I think I deserve way more than you treacherous Erudite trash!"

She looks at me again. Suddenly, my eyesight lurches to the left, and I look at my side. Sticking from it is a syringe.

"This serum is resistant to Divergence," she explains, "Thanks to Jeanine Matthews, we are able to control you-" And then nothing.