Evie in Un-Wonderland: Chapter Six

The morning was bright as it broke in the early hours of dawn. The birds sang a tuneful melody as if they were the ones calling for the sun to rise again, summoning it from below; lifting it into the sky. Peaceful drops of dew fell from the tiles on the old slate roof that had been frozen from the harsh winters night before, that was finally ceasing, down the wooden window frame and plummeting to the floor below.

The old house groaned as the inhabitants rose from their sweet slumber, each making a separate floor board creak under their weight, however light they were.

Evie lifted the blankets away from her body and placed them back down again, on the empty end of her bed. She stretched her arms up above her head and clicked her neck; once on the left, and then on the right. Her mouth gaped open as she roared out a very large yawn and then rubbed her eyes, clearing them. She then brought her legs up to her chest and swung them round so she was sitting upright off the edge of her bed; her feet not quite reaching the floor beneath her, straightening her neat night dress back down to just above her knees. Her sleep had been restful, so restful she didn't actually remember getting into her bed the night before, or remember how she had left her brothers room.

Evie quickly became annoyed as she tried to remember, as hard as she could; retracing every step heading up to waking, but had little luck. Instead of harrowing her head more, as it was early, she decided to hop off her bed and make it, placing all the fine pillows and two teddies back into their allocated spots around sheets.

All the creases were perfectly, in her opinion, pressed out by the tip of her index finger by the time she finished.

She then walked over to her small dressing table and picked up the hand mirror, that had expensive looking floral patterns engraved on the back, in which she viewed her dawn complexion and wondrous bed hair which had gone back to its natural curls overnight after being straight for a few days. When her hair was in its natural state, it became hard to control, so she chose a purple ribbon from a pile on the dressing table, and tied the top layer of her hair up, making sure the bow was just right and even on both sides. She didn't bother to brush it. Finally, she changed from her white night dress into a light pink dress with purple lace wieved from the chest down to her hip area, planning for it to complement her hair accessory. Evie then brushed down her dress making sure there was no flaw before she left her room and joined the rest of her family.

That's when she heard the heavy thudding of running footsteps banging down the hall way, making the rest of the upstairs floor space vibrate through the wooden boards. Evie rolled her eyes slightly, knowing it was her sister having a mood because she didn't get her way again, and started towards the door, which then, very quickly with much force, opened inwards, almost knocking her down. As she stepped back, her foot landed on something small that sent a prick right up her heel. It had to have been small because she hadn't noticed it before. When she lifted her heel, as a natural reflex and reaction to the sharp pain she had just encountered, to check it was alright, she found just one small fawn, maybe from a rose plant, she thought to herself. Her thoughts were, though, quickly interrupted by the person on the other side of the door; her sister Belle, as she had already guessed, who was out of breath and looking slightly pale, or was it just the light? "Evie!" She breathed, "Come quick!"

Evie, who was mildly annoyed at her sister for nearly pushing her over on her freshly made bed, went to answer back with a sarcastic comment, but was cut off as she opened her mouth to speak.

"I'm not joking! it's Addison." And Belle ran out the room again, just as loudly and as quick as she had arrived.

"What?" Evie asked herself, not being quite sure why she did so, and then realised that something was up. Something was definitely up if Belle was concerned. She then instinctively followed the thudding footsteps into the hallway, checking there were no more sharp objects on the bedroom floor before placing her foot down again.