Chapter Five: The Message

I was running. I don't know where to. I just heard voices, felt hands grabbing at me, smelled dirt, human body oder, and filth. I screamed and tore at the hands that grabbed at me, trying to find the light and the way out.

"Mykah!" called the darkness as I felt jolted, "Mykah, wake up!"

I shot up in the bed, gasping and looking around, wide-eyed and shocked.

"Are you okay?" Demetri asked, taking my chin in his hand.

I pulled away from him, ignored the stares of the family and walked outside into the cold night.

I sat on the balcony, trying to chase away the last memories of the nightmare with the blaring car horns and bright lights of the city. I wrapped my arms tightly around myself and tried to think straight.

"Why is this happening?" I whispered softly, pushing hair from my face.

I used to have this nightmare every night, until I was accepted into the family. I had it occasionally, but never remembered it. Things were falling apart around my ears and I had no idea what to do about it.

How can I keep the inevitable from happening? I shook my head, running my fingers through my hair, roughly. I looked out in the parking lot at the cars and lights.

Something out of the corner of my eye moved. I looked at it quickly. It was a boy, somewhere about the age of seven. He was one of those hood kids, the ones who ran errends for gangs and gave messages. They were the ones who knew everything, but said nothing.

He watched me, his eyes the only thing I could see against his skin, which was the color of black coffee. The boy made a gentle movement of his head, motioning for me to come to him.

I was suspicious, but  I slowly rose, looking around for anyone else who could corner me. I walked down the metal stairs, careful to be as quiet as possible. His large brown eyes followed me as he fingered the end of his braids.

I crossed my arms over my chest, as I walked nearer to him. I was feeling twitchy, so I kept looking over my shoulder and everytime I heard a noise, I damn near jumped out of my skin.

"What do you need?" I muttered under my breath, not looking at him. Hmm. So this is what a drug dealer feels like.

"I've got a message for you, from the Black Knights," he whispered, looking down, his hand in the pocket of his hoodie.

I edged away. This kid probably was carrying, and I was unarmed. "What do the Knights want with me?" I said, looking straight at him now.

"They said to tell Demetri that the problem is spreading," he said, turning away to melt into the darkness.

"Now what the Hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked, but the boy disappeared into a car parked on the edge of the alley and it pulled away.

I gritted my teeth, looking enviously at the wall in near me, it seemed like a lovely thing to ram my head against a few times. Why was Demetri involved with the local drug dealers? However, as far as gangs go, the Black Knights were relativly good. They kept their kids in check, they never had shoot outs for no reason, just only sold the minor drugs and kept the other, more dangerous gangs out of their territory.

I heard a door close as I turned back to walk back across the parking lot, and saw Demetri stand on the top of the stairs.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"Why should I tell you?" I spat, my voice full of venom because of my confusion.

His eyes went cold and narrowed at me. I straightened my back and stared into his eyes, defiantly. I wasn't about to lose this stare-off. He'd be the first to back down, this time. I had anger, fear, and confusion on my side.

After a few minutes, he relented.

"Mykah, just tell me what's wrong?" he asked, so softly.

"There's a message for you. From the Knights," I said, icly.

He noticibly stiffened, "What'd they say?"

"The problem is spreading," I replied, tersely