Chapter Six

It was fifteen minutes into sixth period when Ms. Bilban ran out of the room with a hacking cough.

The whole class was silent as the door shut behind her.

No one spoke again until Mrs. Butcher, our principal, stepped into the room.

"Hey guys. Ms. Bilban won't be back again today, due to the fact that she's coughing up blood."

Frantic whispers flew around the room.

Mrs. Butcher spoke loudly over us, "She told me to tell you guys to get to work on your semester projects for the twenty minutes you have left in this class. So please start."

Surprisingly, everyone did just what she asked us to.

I got up, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. I walked over to Zebastian and relaxed into the chair next to him.

"Dude. You gotta start coming to me. I'm too lazy to do this every time."

He didn't even crack a smile.

I sighed and leaned my head on my hand, "Look, I'm sorry about yesterday. Cutter jumped me and I didn't mean to make you feel weird."

He shrugged.

I sighed again, "Alright. Well, lets get to work."

For the rest of the class period the only noise that passed between us was the sound of pages turning as we both flipped through our textbooks.

Zebastian was the only one that took any good notes.

I was too busy watching him out of the corner of my eye, the way he smiled a little every time he found something interesting to write down, or how he flexed his wrist when he had written down a particularly long fact.

When the bell rang, I jumped. I had been way too caught up in looking at him that I hadn't noticed the time or turned the page in at least five minutes.

I smacked my forehead in frustration as he stood up and gathered his stuff to leave.

A couple of moments later his voice rang through the emptying room,

"This weekend?"

I looked up at him, shocked. I had already expected him to be gone.

A tiny tug at the corner of his lips was the only response I got as he watched me nod like an idiot.

I got home later that night and collapsed on my bed.

Remembering all I had to do was difficult, there was so much.

Three hours of homework, make dinner, laundry, pick Charlott-shit!

I had to pick Charlotte up from piano practice!

Running back down the stairs and out the front door, I scrambled into my car.

She was standing outside when I got there. Her face brightened when I pulled up.

"Finally! I thought you'd never get here."

"I'm so sorry Char. My mind was in the clouds and I completely forgot about it."

"Oh its okay. I helped Mrs. Nichols make a lemon pie."

I smiled at her, "That's good. Did you bring any home for me?"

She giggled and smacked my arm, "Oh shut up Brice!"

Picking up Charlotte late threw off my whole after school schedule.

That means dinner wasn't ready when my parents got home from work.

Too bad Cutter wasn't here to cushion the blow.

When my mom and dad got home, the house erupted with their disapproval.

"What happened?"

Even just walking in the door, they could tell everything wasn't perfect.

"Sorry, I'm running a little late today."

My father slammed the door shut behind him, "A little...late?"

I flinched at his harsh words, "Yeah. I forgot about picking up Charlotte."

My mother froze, "You...forgot?"

I very gently set down the spoon I was holding and prepared my next words carefully, "Dinner will be ready in a few minutes."

My dad exploded, "A few minutes?! We expected dinner to be ready right when we got home!"

"I'm sorry. I-"

Now it was my moms turn, "Sorry?! You're sorry?! We don't want to hear your excuses! To your room! NOW!"

No words left my mouth as I trudged up the stairs.

My parents are like this. They expect me to be absolutely flawless and if I don't meet up to their expectations they freak. An explosion like that can happen over the smallest of things. I have to be perfect for them.

I flopped on my bed, not even bothering to do my homework.

God, I can't wait till the weekend.