(4) chapter four

COMMENT

VOTE

ENJOY

TO THE SIDE IS A PICTURE OF SERENITY (PLAYED BY NINA DEBROV)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was beyond glad that my apartment was relatively clean. It was small, but cozt, and I had it well stocked. I was even more relieved that I'd cleaned recently, when Rowan Krown came prancing through my kitchen with her nose so high in the air that it almost touched the ceiling.

"This is your safehouse?" She asked, disapproval strong in her tone.

"Yes, it is. And if you have a problem with it, there are a couple zombies outside that would probably share their beds." I said, glancing back over my shoulder. I wasn't about to let some blonde trash come in my apartment and insult me. It was practically the apocolypse, fuck being polite.

She stared at me, her expression both miffed and confused. It was a comical mix. "Zombies sleep?"

Someone in the living room burst out laughing, clearly evesdropping. The gruff, hard edge to the laugh that was oddly familiar made me think that it must have been Kain.

She whipped her hair over her shoulder and strutted into the living room, her hips shaking and swaying so much that I was concerned she'd bump into something.

I muffled my snort with my hand. I didn't like her but I didn't need to start a fight for no reason. I wasn't going to let her walk all over me like she clearly though she could, but I wasn't going to provoke her, either.

When I grabbed soda for everyone and walked into the living room, I saw that they had all divided up into couples. Calli and Eric occupied the chair on the right of me and Serenity was perched on Corey's lap in the chair to the left of me. Rowan was trying desperately to slide herself closer to Kain on the small couch, even though he was very obviously keeping her at a distance.

With no more intention than to piss Rowan off, I plopped myself down heavily on the couch, right in the middle of them. I nearly sat on Rowan's hand but she retracted it just in time, eyeing me like she though I carried every STD known to man. Kain chuckled quietly, making my lips turn up at the edges.

"So," Serenity started, "You have a TV." She looked from me to the television and then back again. I nodded. "Does it work?" She asked. 

I picked up the remote and clicked it on, thankful that I'd gotten more fuel for the generator and remembered to turn it on. I got up and flipped through my DVDs, until I found the earliest Supernatural season I had.

"You may not know this show," I said over my shoulder to them. "It's called Supernatural. It's good."

When I turned, Corey was grinning at me. "I love this show." He grinned. Serenity bobbled her tiny head in agreement, a look of exciment on her face.

My eyes flickered to her hands — one in Corey's hand and one placed lightly on top of her stomach, right below her ribs. It was a gesture I recognized immediately.

I looked up to her face, half gaping, and wasn't at all surprised to see her looking right back at me. Her lips were curled up and her eyes twinkled in amusement.

"You can ask about it, you know." Her tone was laced with sarcasm but she still managed to sound light and happy, almost like she was holding back laughter. "It's not a taboo subject or anything, even if not everyone approves." She shot a glance in Rowan's direction.

I chuckled and lookated at her stomach again. It wasn't huge but there was a clearly defined baby bump nesselled between her tiny hips. She didn't look big enough to be able to support a baby.