Chapter 6a - Leaving

Thomas and Avelyn reached the city gates, and it was clear they were the last to arrive.

The others were all gathered round mounds of packages, each filled with different supplies and necessities they were going to need. Their impatience was evident in their expressions and posture, and even the occasional tapping foot or drumming fingers.

Dennis shook his head at them as they got closer.

Avelyn just laughed. "Don't look at me like that, Dennis. You said sun down, and look, the sun isn't even down yet."

He shook his head again, but in a more amused fashion. "I know, Avelyn. But, it is just so you to be the last to the party."

Dennis turned and the group parted to make way for him. "Come on, lets make a move."

Thomas watched the group retrieve their packages, slinging them over their arms or shoulders as they moved forwards, but he stood still, and let his gaze rise up to encompass the large city gates.

He had laid eyes on them a few times, but his jobs rarely took him this close to the walls of the city, let alone the gates. It was as if there was a magical line in front of him, and he was scared about what would happen when or if he crossed it.

He shook his head at the nonsensical idea and placed one foot in front of the other until he found himself on the other side of the gate. He took in a deep breath, and already felt as if it smelt different this side. Fresher somehow. He smiled at his own delusional mind.

As the group traipsed down the road, away from the city Thomas had lived in his entire life, there was friendly banter everywhere. But, he knew none of them, and he felt very alone all of a sudden, daunted by the task of infiltrating such a tight group.

He had resisted the urge to look behind him, but gave into the temptation now.

The gates already seemed so small, and that made him feel even worse.

One tiny boy in a sea of men, leaving his small gates behind for a massive world he knew nothing about.

"Falling behind a bit there aren't you lad?" Thomas started, and had to look up to meet Monty's gaze, as he towered over him.

"Come on." There was frustration in his voice, but not anger. Thomas even thought he detected a playful tone.

Before they caught back up with the crowd, Thomas took this as a chance to make his first friend.

"So, where are we going?"

Monty glanced sideways at him with a quizzical look. "You know that. Dennis said earlier, the Elated Devil. Weren't you listening?"

Thomas had heard the name yes, he had also jumped to the conclusion that it was an inn of some kind, but he had no idea where it was.

"Yea, but I suppose I just haven't been out this way before, so was just wondering how far away this place is." Thomas stared at the ground as he spoke. He didn't want to appear ignorant, but thought it was better to ask Monty now, rather than have the others mock him later, especially Nolan, who was going to be the hardest to befriend as he already had his suspicions about Thomas.

As Thomas thought of the older Traveller, he saw him turn around, mid-conversation with Dennis, and glare at him. It didn't take a genius to guess what, or rather who, they were talking about.

"You've not really made a good first impression on Nolan, but don't worry, he doesn't really like anyone."

"Not sure how I managed to make a bad impression on him without even talking to him."

"Ah well, he's always been a paranoid old man, even when I first joined, and he wasn't really that old back then."

Monty didn't seem to want to talk about Nolan though, because he launched into a description of the Elated Devil, "It's only a couple of hours away. We always stay there when we come to Aeredale. As Dennis mentioned before, we are not exactly welcomed with open arms when we arrive. It's just easier to avoid the conflict. Plus the owners of the Elated Devil always cook us up a feast when we come and they even arrange to have a couple of the city girls come down." Monty winked, but Thomas's stomach dropped. Any mention of those sorts of services sent his mind to his sister. Was it any wonder he was so 'prude' as his friends would put it.

"One of my favourite taverns, and not just for the warm welcome. Good food, strong drinks, warm beds, an actual bath. Dennis lets us get our fill of home comforts before we hit the road proper. Then it's all wilderness; sleeping on rough ground, bathing in cold rivers and eating anything we manage to hunt up."

The words said that Monty preferred the life that came with four walls and a roof over his head, but the expression on his face as he talked about that wilderness said otherwise.

Thomas had never slept in the wilderness, but he'd slept in tunnels that ran under the city, surrounded by rodents, insects and other unwanted animals. He figured it couldn't be much worse, and in fact, expected that it would be significantly better, the smell had to be better at least.

He was slightly concerned about the hunting though. He hoped the group were a sharing sort, because he had never been hunting. Again he realised how his skill set wasn't really tailored for this job.

"You all know how to hunt then?"

"Course we do! Don't you?" Monty smiled knowingly.

Thomas felt his stomach clench. Thankful again that Nolan wasn't within hearing distance. "Uh, not really. I mean, I never have before, but that doesn't mean that I can't, I just haven't tried, and..."

Monty laughed and pounded Thomas on the back in that friendly gesture of his that had knocked the wind out of him last time. This time Thomas wondered if he'd find a hand shaped bruise there in the morning.

"Don't worry lad, we'll show you how. In fact, if you're really lucky, Avelyn will show you. She is a master with that bow of hers. Wouldn't want to piss her off thats for sure. You'd be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life, which probably wouldn't be very long!" More laughing from Monty, but Thomas wasn't paying attention.

He was imagining hunting with Avelyn. He watched her walk ahead of him, as she talked non stop to a guy only slightly taller than her, but twice as wide, arms so big they'd probably crush Thomas with minimal effort. Her hips swayed in such a mesmerising manner, and before long all thoughts of hunting as well as the sound of Monty's voice were far, far away.

That was until a thick hand waved itself so close to his face that Thomas almost fell backwards onto the ground.

"Whoah! Didn't mean to startle you lad, but if she catches you leering at her like that... well remember what I said about that bow." He winked and said no more.

They continued to walk in silence, but this time Thomas felt less isolated.