Chapter 4

We pulled up to a white house. 

No, I stand corrected. This wasn't a house, it was too big. It's gotta be some kind of facility. 

"What is this place?" I turned to her.

She looked at me, a weird expression on her face.

"My house..." she said, "Do you not remember the conversation we had like, 20 minutes ago about how I had to go home, and do some things?" 

"No.. I did, but this," I replied, "Is not a house."

She rolled her eyes and got out of the car, slamming the door. She didn't look back at me as she headed towards the Victorian door.

I sat back and admired the home sitting in front of me. It had been ages since I've been on this side of the town. With the big houses. 

I stared at the salmon colored roof, and the perfectly trimmed bushes.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when noticed her standing at the door, her expression blank. She was staring at me.

It was then that I noticed the beauty that stood in front of me. Her dark blonde waves cascading down her chest, her lavender t-shirt, and her dark washed jeans. I bet she'd look great in a bikini.

Damn, Ryder. What are you thinking? You're supposed to take her heart! Not the other way around.

I dismissed my thoughts, and got out of the car. As soon as I made my way up the steps, she let out a breath and walked in, keeping the door slightly opened for me to come through.

Let me tell you something about Ainsley Brooks.

Her parents were possible millionaires.

Stepping into her house, I was face to face with a gigantic crystal chandelier.

"What do your parents do for a living?" I breathed out.

She shrugged, "Business."

"Yea, no kiddin.'" 

We walked into her living room, and I was hit with the smell of soft linen. 

I missed that smell.

I looked around, taking in my surroundings. The white leather couches were all lined up, facing a huge 70" flat screen TV. The glass table in between was probably the size of my dinner table. 

"Make yourself at home," she dropped her backpack. "I'll be right back."

She quickly ran up the big spiral stairs, leaving me alone in her living room.

I walked over to an array of shelves over by the wall. Looking at the picture I notice Ainsley of all ages, in almost all of them. Under the pictures were written descriptions.

Ainsley - 4 - Long Beach

Ainsley - 7 - Disneyland

Ainsley - 8 - First Communion

The pictures seemed to stop around the age of 15. In several of the pictures I noticed a taller version of Ainsley. Same dark blonde hair, same blue eyes, same smile. Standing with Ainsley next to Donald Duck. Sitting with Ainsley in a field of grass. Next to Ainsley with what looked like to be her parents. I predicted it to be her sister. As I moved farther down the shelving array, I noticed the pictures getting scarce. Before I stopped looking, a silver frame caught my eye. 

I stared at it for what seemed like to be forever.

Alexis Brooks; Forever in our Hearts