Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The City of Danghmar, as they called it, was more of a stronghold than a city. It's walls were higher than any Krista had ever seen with spikes on top pointing to the heavens; some still had skulls of various decomposition impaled on them. Birds circled overhead and every so often one would swoop down and tear a piece of flesh from one of the severed heads. 
She saw that the walls were a few metres thick as they passed through them and guards were posted on all entrances.

As they went through the gate it opened into a small open area before it parted into separate streets, each packed with various stalls and bustling with people. Crowds of children ran wild, pick pocketing those fortunate enough to have anything worth stealing.

But the people in the street paid very little notice to the new arrival of cattle rolling through its gates and deep into the heart of the city towards their arena. 

Tiberius, with his rough skin and blonde hair, was glaring at every person they passed as if everyone here had done him some physical harm in the past. Krista had not yet had the chance to fight Tiberius and part of her prayed she never would. Tiberius was the worst type of warrior because he had brawn and brains.  

Their cage, being pulled by horses, hit a rock as they turned a corner, tipping their carriage on to two wheels instead of four and throwing Krista across the tight space, right into Lazarus. Lazarus places his large hands on her shoulders and righted her, giving her a small squeeze before he let go.
Tiberius and others cursed their driver for his poor skills before they righted themselves once more, dusting off their bruises, but everything was forgotten when they saw what was up ahead.

So that was where the noise was coming from, Krista thought as her eyes fell upon the centre of the City of Danghmar. As they came to the end of the street Krista could see that it opened up into a wide open space rammed full of people. She could not see through to the other side because of how many people there were. 

Exotic breeds of animals were chained around the square as their owners bartered them for half a dozen slaves, materials of different bold colours caught Krista's eyes everywhere she went and the air smelt of hot spices.

"Lazarus, look!" Krista gripped the bars of her cage, pressing her face against the obstruction as she tried to take everything in. Traders from all over the world were there selling fabrics, spices, food and fish.

"Krista," Lazarus shook his head, pulling her back down and away from the strange people that littered the street, "Remember, we are not here to shop."

Krista looked at him with annoyance; he did not need to remind her why she was here. Krista doubted she would ever forget the reason. They traveled for a few more minutes, winding through crowds of people, numerous faces peering in at them and Krista knew they were sizing them up. One merchant asked their driver if they were bound for the arena which their captor confirmed and informed the merchant on how to make a bet here. Soon, over the clot of the horses and raised voices, Krista heard the familiar sound of steel upon steel. It rang out like the voice of an old friend.

"The arena of Danghmar," Tiberius gritted through his teeth as they passed though a smaller wooden gate into a simple clearing in the middle of town which had been marked out by rocks. There were two slaves currently engaged in a sword fight with just the line of rocks parting them and their audience. 

"This isn't an arena," Krista frowned at Tiberius, wondering what he was speaking of. Krista had grown up inside the walls of a real amphitheater; this looked like nothing more than a street brawl. 

"OUT, YOU PACK OF DOGS!" The doors at the back of their cage were thrown open by a soldier of Commander Niclaus's and hands reached in to haul them out. Waiting for her turn, Krista hopped down after Lazarus; their ankles bound together by thick iron that kept them filed into a single line.