-1-

"Is it me, or are Courtney and crew acting even more..." Rebecca pauses, scrunching up her face as thought trying to find a word, "possessed by the unholy spirit of Satan lately?"

I follow her gaze across the crowded canteen. A group of girls are circling Andrea's table like vultures, shrieking with laughter. I shrug and go back to my chips – relieved that it's not me who has caught their attention.

"Seem the same to me."

Rebecca looks like she's deep in thought as she watches them, her blue eyes a bright contrast to the black tank top she's wearing. Courtney's crowd go sit down on another table, knocking someone's tray over as they pass.

"It's that new cheerleading club that's done it, I'll bet," she says. "They think they're in some kind of teen movie." She eats one of her chips then looks at me, "I would have thought it would be right up your street."

I glare at her then look down at my tray.

"Are you serious? No-one wants a monster cheering them on."

She looks pointedly at Courtney, a smile playing about her lips. I sigh.

"There was a cheerleading club a couple of years ago, I tried out for it then, if you must know," I say. "The coach was only taking 6th formers on though. He's just come back from a Sabbatical - that's why it's started up again."

A screech of laughter pierces our ears from the other table.

"Ah yes, that creepy guy, Mr. Harrison. Back again like some kind of...of... boomerang of evil." She frowns, "Do we even have any sports teams for them to cheer for?"

I shrug.

"I dunno. You know, done properly it's actually a competitive sport in its own right."

Rebecca points her fork at Courtney and co.

"Not the way they're doing it."

I stand up with my tray and she looks up at me.

"By the way, it's time to tell Carter about the whole," she mimics shooting the air with her fingers, "situation. It's been a week. You'll come with me to Kings College tonight? We can tell him about what happened and get the file on the next girl."

I exhale heavily.

"Fine, whatever, Rigor."

She beams.

"Awesome, see you after school. I'll wait for you by the hearse."

***

I put my head in my hands.

Last week I shot demons. This week I'm hiding in a toilet cubicle, trying to avoid a confrontation with Courtney, Sarah and Lisa as they make their way down the corridor. I feel a tightening in my throat when I see monster munch next to my phone number penned in black onto the door.

Why are you so pathetic? a voice in my head asks me.

I wait five minutes until I'm sure they've passed, stand up, then sit back down again as the door to the bathroom opens. Taunting voices echo around the room.

"Have you seen Gemma's shoes? They're so vile."

My heart sinks. They're here.

I stay silent, hoping they'll leave soon. They continue to slate Gemma, then mid shriek, the toilets are suddenly plunged into an unnatural silence. I frown. I can still see their shadows under the bottom of my cubicle door.

Do they know I'm here? My body tenses, preparing itself for whatever may be to come.

There is no sound, no movement. They're just standing there, presumably looking into the mirror. What game are they playing?

And then, in unison, they speak.

"You are ugly. You are worthless. You are nothing. You are mine."

Their voices sound different, low and monotonous, and as they continue the eerie chant the hairs on my arms stand on end. They say the words at least four times. And then they resume their earlier conversation as though nothing weird has just happened. Moments later they head back out of the bathroom, leaving me alone.

Slowly I unlock the cubicle, quickly averting my gaze from the mirror ahead as I step outside.

What the hell was that all about?