Chapter Six

Finally, the day of the plan came. Sully had spent the whole day rolling around the enclosure, his heart hammering in his chest. Mother-wolf kept pacing around the water trough, ignoring the humans, and his siblings, close as ever, groomed each other and yipped in excitement. At sunset, Naomi appeared, wearing a black shirt and navy blue jeans. It's to camouflage at night, she explained, when Sully gave her a questioning look. Naomi usually wore bright clothes. She hung around the wolf and bear enclosures for most of the time, occasionally going to watch the kangaroos or the pelicans. But when the sun set, she crept into the bushes, motioning for him to be quiet.

      Zookeepers passed by frequently, looking for stray humans who hadn't left. Naomi wasn't found. As the sky became a deep blue, the wolves were fed, and then the zookeepers left. The moon was now shining brightly in the dusky sky. Naomi slunk out of the bushes, casting wary glances in every direction. Sully could smell her fear. She grabbed something out of her pocket. It seemed like a tiny box that lit up when she pressed a button on it. She waited multiple seconds, while the box made strange beeping sounds, then a muffled voice was heard coming from it.

      Sully bristled. Was there a human trapped in the little box? Naomi didn't seem shocked by this news, she actually responded to the muffled voice. It seemed like the voice and she was having a conversation. After a few minutes, there was a beep, and Naomi stuffed the little box back in her pocket. Okay, Max will be bound to arrive any time now, she said.

      And, just as Naomi had predicted, Max came bustling down the path with a flashlight and keys. He said something to Naomi, who nodded and then walked towards the enclosure.

      Sully wasn't quite sure what had happened just that a gate had opened, he had bounded through it, and then he was free. He was free! Sully was tempted to howl, but a severe look from Naomi made him change his mind. Mother-wolf joined him, then his sister, then his brother. Mother-wolf looked as though she were about to burst with joy. Her pale blue eyes were full of happiness, happiness that Sully had never seen since they had been captured.

      Max did the same with Oona and Rosa's enclosure, but the bears lumbered out hesitantly. Their faces were etched with worry, and Sully could smell their fear.

      Don't worry, he told them. All he got in response was a nervous growl from Rosa and a silent stare from Oona. He decided that two nervous bears weren't anything to worry about when he was free. Once all of the animals were in a group, Naomi led them towards the entrance. Only Sully and Mother-wolf followed her, before realizing that the others weren't coming.

      Impatience welled in Sully's stomach. What's wrong? He snapped at Oona.

      Oona bristled and glanced around her uncertainty. What's wrong is that I've never left my enclosure and that I was born here! Her tone was harsh. Then, in a softer tone, she added, You wouldn't understand, Sully. You wouldn't understand the bond between an animal and the place they were born.

      Yes, I can! If I didn't understand that bond, I wouldn't be doing this to get back to Yosemite! You can stay if you want, but you can't stop me from going!

      Rosa stepped in, looking angry. Look here, you little brat! We're not the ones who decided to go! You told us to come! It wasn't our choice! And if we can stay, then that's just what I'm going to do!

      Sully blinked. The coldness of Rosa's words was starting to seep in. She had called him a brat. And she was going to stay here.

      Oona glanced at Rosa helplessly. I'm sorry, Sully. If Rosa doesn't go... I can't go.

      Sully's ears drooped. Please don't leave us.

      Oona let out a huff of air. Rosa pawed at the ground. Mother-wolf bounced around in excitement, like a pup.

      After a few long seconds of silence, Naomi interrupted. Look, we don't have all the time in the world. Either you leave with us, or you stay here.

      Oona swung her large head around to look at Rosa. Please.

     Rosa nuzzled her sister's chin. All right. But, she glared at Sully. Promise me that you'll never leave our side. We don't know how to survive in the wild.

      Of course! I promise! I promise! Sully vowed.

      So the group set off again, Naomi in the lead, and Max in the back, keeping a lookout for onlookers.

      They arrived at the entrance to the zoo, where a huge white truck was waiting. It reeked of smoke and made a loud rumbling sound. Rosa whimpered in fear and gazed longingly back at the zoo.

      The truck lowered some sort of bridge, and, one by one, the animals clambered into it. In the truck, Sully found a large bowl filled with meat and fruit, a tray of litter, and a large bucket of water. They all fit, though the space was a little cramped, as Oona and Rosa were large.

      When they were all settled on soft blankets, the bridge-thing closed, leaving them all in blackness. Sully heard a thunk and then the rumbling sound became louder. The truck lurched forward, and they were off.