Chapter One

November 15, 2017

Dear Diary,

We FINALLY arrived at our new home. It took longer than a day! Like, 26 HOURS! We had to stop at a hotel on our way there because no one wants to pull an all-nighter driving!

Thankfully, there was breakfast. I'm a total morning person so I had no trouble getting up. Unlike my parents.. I had to literally DRAG them out of bed! Then, they both took showers and we headed to breakfast.
I piled up on sugary treats. Cinnamon rolls, Frosted Flakes, apple juice, WAFFLES! I really love waffles.

I got weird looks but I donut care! Ha, get it?

I'm not spoiling my morning with a sour cup of coffee!

We sat down and I started munching on my cereal. "I just love the area!" My mom boasted to my dad, who nodded.

"What do you think Layla?" My mom asked, smiling. "It's freezing!" I said, biting into my cinnamon roll.

Her smile fell. "But it'll snow! Haven't you always wanted to see snow?"

"What if you slip on ice?" I pointed out.
"What if you fell on a cactus?" My mom shot back.

She had a point.

"FINE. You win." I sighed. I hate being disrespectful but I am just so super worried!
Everything will be different! I don't know who to hang out with or what! I would rather fall on a cactus than trip over my own feet like I always do!

I made sure to get seconds, and possibly thirds...

Maybe if I got sugar rush the drive would've been faster.

But instead, I just fell asleep and woke up dizzy and nauseous. Why must the cinnamon rolls betray me?

We all stood outside our new house and stared in awe. I never actually saw the inside, but apparently my parents fell in love with it.

It was a pretty pale yellow and it had a nice yard. It stood out against all the grey and white houses. We all took a deep breath and headed inside.

It.was.HUGE!

The living room had so much space to dance in, not that I do that much anyway..

And let me just tell you about the upstairs!

My room, had a WINDOW SEAT!!

I would've fell on my knees and bowed up and down but I was too curious about the rest of the house.

The bathroom was a good size, my parents empty bedroom was a good size for a rodeo, and the basement... I didn't dare to go down there.

I skipped into the kitchen and stood at the island. My mom glanced at me as she unpacked some of the dishes. She then smiled.

"Can I assume you like it?" She laughed at my expression.

"Yeah. But I'm still gonna miss our old house. I sort of miss living in a large linen closet." I replied.

She laughed again. "Window seat?"

"WINDOW SEAT!" I exclaimed.

"I CALLED IT!" My dad shouted from the front door, bringing in some of our luggage.

"Fine, Hank." My mom sighed, pulling out a $5 bill from her jeans.

"Ha," my dad laughed, snatching the money. "I tried to get her to go for 50, but she wouldn't BUY it." He snorted to himself.

I giggled at his failed attempt to make a pun. Although I can't believe my parents make bets over me..

That's when I heard my phone start buzzing uncontrollably from my bag. I jumped and zipped open one of the pockets.

I scrolled through all the messages trying to hold back a smile.

They were from my BFF Aspen from camp. Her mom and my mom were co-workers at the office and they probably purposely put us together, but I was glad they did.

Aspen: Are u there yet?

Aspen: Hello?

Aspen: DID THE CAR CRASH!?!

Aspen: I KNOW U SEE THESE MESSAGES LAYLA!! ANSWER ME!!

Aspen: is the wifi rlly bad in NY?

Aspen: 😐😐

The messages stopped after that.

Me: We're here, alive.

Aspen: PRAISE!!!!

Me: Lol, rlly miss u though ☹️

Aspen: Same 😭

Me: We did get attacked by a buzzard as we left, almost ate Iggy. That was a gr8 goodbye present.

Aspen: WHAAAAAT!?!

Aspen: R U SERIOUS!?!

Aspen: AND POOR IGGY!?!?!!

Me: jk

Aspen: I HATE U

Aspen: Is iggy ok though

Me: She's fine. If anything she might freeze to death it's so COLD

Aspen: Ewwww

Me: ok we have to unpack txt u later?

Aspen: ok! see ya

I shut my phone off as dad brought Iggy in.

Iggy was my pet Iguana. She has been with us since I was 6.

I watched her frantically look around her new environment.

"Tell Isabelle to calm down." My dad winked at me.

"It's Iggy. And I think I left her chill pills in the car." I joked back.

I took Iggy up to my new room and closed the door to let her out. She ran around like a madman before settling down in the corner.

"Movers here!" My Mom called up the stairs. I imagined her doing a little dance as I put Iggy back in her cage and set it in the corner.

I went to go help with the truckload of furniture. It took FOREVER.

And now, after a nice Italian dinner, I am lying in a sleeping bag on the floor awaiting another day of unpacking.

Plus Iggy is making weird snoring sounds..

Snooze ya later!
<3 Layla