Death's Funeral

Death’s Funeral

For years a mystery has spread across the world, one that cannot be explained. We don’t know where it came from. We don’t know why it was created. Confusion has fallen on us like raindrops, splattering us. We only know one thing. It is malignant, evil, far beyond anything our minds have ever grasped. It is a virus, but it’s no ordinary virus. It begins with the symptoms of the flu, but as it strengthens your  humanity ebbs away, leaving behind everything pure until the only thing there is a shell of terror. My best friend and I, Nikolai, are the only survivors of our town, and we’ve been on the run for a week now. Communication has been barricaded, no one can be trusted. This is like some sort of horror move that’s manifested itself into reality, and Nikolai and I are walking right into danger’s mouth. I just got one thing to say. If I get bitten, it better be by Megan Fox, because I highly believe she’s been infected. Is it weird if I say “Giggity” at the thought of that? Yeah…..I suppose…..I’m such a perv at the wrong time………………

Chapter 1 : The Beginning

“Yo Aaron! That guy looks exactly like you!” Nikolai jeered as he pointed at an Infected, wandering the streets pointlessy. I mean, they’re so freaking dumb. You could put ketchup all over yourself, groan and they’d mistake you for one of them. Of course we’d tried that, but all we got was a lot of intimate attention from a horde of the bastards. Some things you never forget. My childhood friend, Nikolai, grinned impishly at me as he shoved a cartridge into a 9mm.

“Where did you get that?” I asked, looking down morosely at my baseball bat stained with dried blood.

Nikolai shrugged. “Saw two in a police car and took one”

Wait, so he saw two and only took out ONE? Nikolai saw my boiling expression, and he grinned again, his silvery-grey eyes deepening.

“The other one was lodged in an Infected’s eye, would you have still wanted that?” I shuddered at the thought. Nikolai chuckled.

“Yeah I thought so”.

It had been a week since the outbreak, and we still hadn’t stumbled upon a survivor. The Creux virus (got the fancy name from a doctor before an Infected tore his jaw out) was potent, infecting the victim within a matter of minutes. Their bones would break and their mouths would gush blood as their body arched and kept time with the spasms. I’d seen a person transforming before. And trust me it was creepy. Creepy in a way that could make you soil your pants. So creepy you’d rather play a game of poker with Jason Voorhees with a smile. I mean, why couldn’t it be a crazy, silent machete wielding maniac instead of horrific monsters that feed on human flesh? Life is such a bitch.

As the Infected walked slowly, two more appeared. One of their heads was barely hanging by a spinal cord. The guy must have had a bad day at gym class.

Nikolai’s jocular self was stripped away. It was the hell-bent side I was looking at, the one that liked to kill people and go to IHOP afterwards. And trust me, I've seen the guy do that since this week.

The Infected have an uncanny ability of sensing life essence. And along with that emotions. So if you're walking past one of these guys fuming after failing a math test (Which I did on the day of the outbreak) it's over for you. Negative emotions were more pungent than postitve emotions, which was really damn unfair, pertaining to the fact that it's really hard to feel positive when most of the world's population has been infected.

My heart was hammering as one of the Infected walked up to a mangled body sprawled on the ground. It fell on it's knees and sank its teeth into the corpse, tearing away chunks of flesh and sinew. I looked away, sickened.