Chapter 10 - The Moon Goddess

When Dante finally fell asleep on the bench, I unlaced myself from his arms and looked for more wood to put on the fire. It was low and only a soft glow of coals remained. I didn't want to bother him with igniting a new batch of wood, and I couldn't sleep. 

Now and then I heard him mumbled in his sleep and I'd check on him. His angular features radiated in the dying firelight. He was the most striking man I'd ever seen. My heart jerked and I felt a dull ache of foreboding. Did I want to return home, back to the Garden now, without Dante? 

Suddenly a large gust of wind from the South blew out the flames of the smoldering fire. My vision adjusted as I noted how completely dark the night had become. Dante muttered in his sleep. I went to him and placed my fingertips on his wrist. He still had a pulse and was breathing evenly. He's fine, I thought. And he said we were safe here. With that in mind, I decided to explore the beach some. 

I looked out across the water to where the strong wind had surfaced. The waters were calm like all life in the sea had stopped. I glanced out at the end of the pier, thinking I wouldn't see anyone, but I did. The moonlight appeared, bathing a figure in light. The person retreated and sat down in the hammock, looking my way beckoning me to join him or her, then reclining in the hammock, rocked back and forth, whistling. I remained frozen, closing my eyes temporarily, so I could focus on the sound. Did I know the tune? I could hear the song floating over the breeze. Hush, little baby, don't say a word, Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird. 

My throat tightened and my legs lurched forward. Could it be? My mother had sung that lullaby to me when I was a baby. Could it be her? Cautiously I made my way out along the pier, hoping against hope it was my mother. When I approached the figure, I realized she was a woman. She wore a white chiffon dress that hovered and moved around her. The dress sparkled with gems that had been woven throughout the sleeves and upper bodice. 

Taking a moment to stand, the woman tossed her blonde hair away from her face and over her shoulder, just the way my mother did. I recognized the gesture immediately. Her face, I did not recognize. But her eyes. Her eyes I recognized. They were the color of mine. Tranquil pools of amber love gazing up at me. 

"Elana, my love." 

"Mother?" I ventured. It had to be her. 

"Yes, my love," she said. "Don't let my appearance concern you. It is me." 

"What happened?" I asked as I took her feeble hand in mine and guided her along the pier towards the beach. I wanted to hug her, but I was afraid I'd break her in half. She was so gaunt and frail. 

"The last token of friendship my best friend took from me before she pushed into the fire. Since then, I've aged some while learning my magic. The previous Moon Goddess retired and handed things over to me. I have some big shoes to fill." 

I halted in my tracks, glancing down at my dress, and then at her. "You are the Moon Goddess?" 

She simply winked at me, a hint of calculating knowledge crossing her features. 

"This is wonderful!" I exclaimed. 

In response, a grin beamed on her face. "You were always such a natural wolf. You understand, yes?" 

"I think so." 

"Let me look at you," she stated, again changing the subject. "You have grown up into such a beautiful lady. Look at you!" She stifled a thin giggle of excitement. "Do I look that old to you, my darling? Too old to hug? Oh what am I saying? That doesn't matter, let me look at you. I'm so happy to see you!"