this romance thing got me SHOOK

Something has been eating away at me, and surprisingly it came from the person that has always been kind to me, even if she teases me about Lent too often for my liking. Now that Lent and I kissed, I am reminded of how Loire did the same thing, only earlier. And while there is the concept that states that one cannot be held accountable for things they have done before the law prohibiting them was put in place, I still feel guilty, because I was always holding out for Lent, and I allowed Loire to kiss me.

My issue isn't exactly with Loire herself, just that I have no idea how Lent would feel about it, and since we're so close with Loire and genuinely value her friendship, it's stupid to think that I can avoid this interaction forever. Loire is going to talk to me about it once we reveal to her that Lent and I plagiarized her act. She'll be overjoyed that we're finally owning up to how we feel about each other, but she might casually slip in something like, "Lent, I stole your man before you could take a bite." She's that kind of person. I know she wouldn't do anything with the intention of ruining our relationship, but she teases often, and without realizing it she could potentially jeopardize everything depending on how Lent reacts to people kissing the person he loves.

It's my job to be honest with my best friend.

"Lent, I have to tell you something," I burst out.

"What is it, Basil?" He continues unperturbed, wiping away his masterpiece from my face with a damp cloth that he found below the sink. Gentle, like a mother cleaning up her child after they fell and scraped their knee. After peeling away a piece from my cheek, Lent replaces the mark with a peck on the cheek, cherry blossom petals on my skin.

"Loire kissed me."

I await a shocked and offended response, but Lent only giggles with his eyes resting on the floor, amazed by how little I know of what he thinks is French culture. "Yeah, that's a normal French thing. You see, in France we 'fait la bise'."

"No, that's not what I'm talking about. I mean...she, you know, actually kissed me. Like, on the lips."

His eyes fly back up to mine, eyebrow arched like one of the curves of Pont Neuf. "And? Don't you like her?"

Well that certainly wasn't the answer I expected, and it forces me to reevaluate the situation and how I should answer.

"Well yeah, of course, but I didn't know if you would be upset about it."

"Basil, why would I be upset?"

Of course Lent did this. Lent is too smart to handle, turning the problem back around to me and making me look like the fool that I am. Why should it matter to him if Loire kissed me? We're not even dating, Lent and me, and even if we were he wouldn't care still. He's an artist, and there's a general idea among some artists that chaining yourself to one person is not equivalent to living life to the fullest.

"Kiss her for as long as you both feel enthralled by it," Lent suggests. "And if it makes you feel any better, she kissed me, too."

Now it's my turn to bend my eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yes really." Lent nods his head enthusiastically. "She loves us both, and I love her as well. What about you?"

"You know, maybe I do. I was so caught up in falling for my best friend that I didn't realize I was falling for another best friend in the process."

Eyes alive with the fiery passion of Icarus, Lent arrests my hands in his. "What do you think about telling Loire about our introspective findings paired with some flowers? We can pick them off the road somewhere, or wherever we can find them."

"I'm sure she'd love them, love us."

A squeeze upon the back of my hand. Then a reassuring voice. "But, Basil, I also just want you to know that I'm not trying to sidestep you just because I want to include Loire in this relationship."

My hand curls around his tighter. "I trust you, Lent."

~~~~~

A/N: well isn't that just sweet

i seriously love loire so much i would die 4 her

~Dookoota