two

THE airport is crowded.

Big surprise, right? It's Christmas vacation. It's to be expected, really; people are trying to travel home to see their families.

...you would think that the mere thought of seeing their loved ones soon would put them in a better mood.

"I swear, if one more asshole shoves me, I'm going to start swinging," I mutter.

Zach snorts. "You won't," he says confidently.

"Bet," I grumble, crossing my arms tighter around myself. Despite my thick jacket, it still feels colder inside the airport than it did outside in the elements.

He just smirks and throws an arm over my shoulder, pulling me into his side so that an elderly couple can pass. The small move nearly gives me a heart attack.

"Lighten up," he teases.

"You lighten up," I snap back. "You're the one who was all doom-and-gloom in the car."

He releases me then, and I immediately feel the absence of his warm touch.

"What was the deal with that, anyway?" I ask, staring at my boots. I know the answer already.

Zach shrugs. "Kelly."

I nod. "Ah," I say.

Kelly is Zach's little toy. He keeps her around because she's head over heels for him and it never hurts to have someone willing to do anything for you.

I want to ask him why he is still with her, but I know it will just start a fight. It always ends when he asks why it matters to me so much and I have to make some bullshit excuse up about it not being right to Kelly.

Okay, yeah, it's not fair to Kelly. But I'm more upset about it for another reason.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I turn to look at him, only to see that he's placed his headphones back on. His hood goes up and his phone comes out.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "I was talking to you, jerk."

He doesn't hear me.

"I'm getting a little sick of this."

Still nothing.

I'm about three seconds away from slugging my alleged best friend when his mother saves his pretty little face.

"Here's your ticket, Jonelle."

Karen holds the piece of paper out for me with a smile. I accept it with a rather forced one of my own. "Thank you."

"I'm so jealous. You guys are going to have so much fun!" She presses her lips together in a thin line, suddenly becoming serious. "Zach, I need you to-" She stops herself and sighs. "Zach."

He isn't listening, naturally. He's turned away from us, scouting the rest of the airport with his music on maximum volume.

"Zach!" Scott calls loudly, but to no avail.

I reach up and yank his hood off his head. When he whirls around, scowling, I point to his mom. "She's trying to talk to you, egghead."

He shoves my shoulder but slides one side of the headphones off. "Yeah?"

"This is your ticket, and this one is your brother's. I need you to take care of them." Karen hands him the slips of paper, which he doesn't seem too happy about based on the giant sigh he releases.

I know that Zach hates being responsible for Gray, but this is ridiculous. He's being a total ass.

"Hey," Scott says in a warning tone. "Drop the attitude. Listen to your mother."

Zach nods glumly. "I am."

"Good." Scott looks back and forth between the two of us. Sometimes I think Zach listens more to me than he does his parents.

Karen begins the typical mother lecture. "Take care of your brother. Watch out for Jonelle. Answer your phone," she gives him a meaningful look with that one. "I'm serious. It's the green button. When you see my name, push it. It's not that hard."

I snicker. Zach shoots me a glare out of the corner of his eye. Karen sighs.

"Jonelle, would you-"

"I'll keep him in line, don't worry." I give her a reassuring smile.

She smiles back at me. "Thank you." She pulls me into a hug. "Be safe, okay?"

"We will. Promise." I give Scott a small smile and a wave. He returns the gesture.

Zach is too cool for goodbyes. He just stands there, not making a single move to embrace his parents.

That's one of the things that really pisses me off about Zach. He has no respect or affection for the people who gave him life. He doesn't even have an excuse to treat them that way! They've been nothing but good to him.

Gray is the complete opposite of Zach. He throws his arms around his mother. "I love you." His voice is muffled by her shirt.

"Oh, wow," she says, surprised, as she gently wraps her arms around her youngest son's slender shoulders. "I love you too."

"Let's go, Gray," Zach nags. "People are staring."

I bump him with my hip. "Let them have their moment, the Thing."

He rolls his eyes.

Karen pulls away with a sappy smile on her face. "Have fun. And remember: if anything chases you," she pauses. "Run." Then she grins.

Zach laughs sarcastically. "You're funny." Then he rolls his eyes. "Come on." He grabs the back of Gray's shirt and steers him to the boarding zone.

"Bye guys!" Karen calls. "I miss you already!"

"Yep," Zach mutters to himself as we get our tickets scanned. "I bet you do."

I give him a look as we walk onto the plane. "If you're going to be a bitch during this whole trip-"

"You shouldn't say bitch," Gray interjects.

"And you really shouldn't say it," I reply. "Not even to tell me not to say it."

"Jonelle can say whatever the fuck she wants, Gray," Zach snaps.

A flight attendant clears her throat at Zach's word choice. When the three of us look at her, she raises an eyebrow.

I send her an apologetic smile. "Sorry, ma'am." I pat Zach's broad shoulder. "This guy's just a little bitter because he found out that he has hemorrhoids-"

Zach sends me a glare. "Shut the-"

"Window seat!" Gray flops down in his claimed chair and proceeds to buckle up. "Come on, guys! The faster you sit down, the faster we can go to Jurassic World."

Zach ushers me into the middle seat, blocking me in with his long legs.

Just as we get settled, Gray turns to us with a puzzled look.

Zach groans. "Don't tell me that you have to go to the bathroom."

"No." Gray shakes his head. "It's just... what's hemorrhoids?"

My mouth drops open. I turn to Zach, whose eyebrows are raised. When he catches my gaze, he shakes his head and holds his palms up in surrender. "Don't look at me. This is on you. You're the one who said it."