Promise Me : part II

• Dedicated to Ms. Teddy

     Trey had found out that what she had was pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is a disease that involves inflammation of the pancreas. People who have this experience attacks of sudden, severe pain in the abdomen. If she didn’t have surgery soon then it could lead to pancreas cancer, one of the most deadly cancers. Trey was freaking out and didn’t know what to do, so when it was a little before three o’clock he decided to call Josh and tell him that he would have to ride home with Anna today and that he would explain everything later.

     “Hey where are you right now, dad?” asked Josh, after Mrs. Martha Jones, Anna’s mom, picked him up.

     “I’m at the hospital. One of our new staff members has had some sort of pancreatic attack and is going to have to have surgery. So I am going to stay and make sure she pulls through. Would you ask Martha if she would stop by and bring me something to eat. Tell I’ll pay her back later.” said Trey.

     “Sure, is there anything else you might need?” asked Josh.

     “No, but make sure you keep your phone with you in case I do need something. I’ll talk to you later, I’ve got to go.” said Trey.

     A few minutes later the nurse came out and said that he could come and see her again. This time she looked even worse, she was telling him all the things they had done and that she wouldn’t even be able to have surgery till tomorrow. Trey told her not to worry, that the good lord will help you through this terrible time.

     The one thing about Trey was that he was a very strong Christian. He had loved and praised the lord as long as he could remember. He always went to church on Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. He had prayed a silent prayer just before he walked in earlier hoping that after she had surgery would hopefully recover. He stayed in the room all night falling asleep then waking back up over and over again. When morning came the nurse told Elizabeth that she would be able to have surgery around ten o’ clock a.m.

     Trey was almost as happy as Elizabeth and he decided to call Josh and tell him that Elizabeth was going into surgery soon. Even though Josh didn’t know her he was still happy for his dad and Elizabeth.

     About thirty minutes before it was time for Elizabeth to go into surgery they came and took her and checked to see if everything was o.k. and ready to start.

     “What time do you think the doctor will be done?” asked Trey.

     “Well we can’t really be sure. Sometimes things go wrong and take longer or they go perfect and zoom by. But this is pretty serious so it’ll be awhile.” replied the nurse.

                                               *                    *                     *

     “Hey dad how’s it going so far.” Josh said when he walked in the waiting room.

     “The nurse hasn’t said anything yet. Hopefully she’ll come and tell us so far.” said Trey.

     “Hey dad, I’m really sorry about your friend.” said Josh.

     “Yeah, me too.” said Trey.

     Silence filled the room after they were done talking. About fifteen minutes later the nurse came out.

     “Well how is she so far?” said Trey as he stood.

     “The good thing is she probably will be able to pull through. The bad thing is she probably won’t live much longer, because the disease has spread a lot.” explained the nurse sympathetically.

     “Thank you so much for trying to save her. She had just moved her was going to be a teacher at Calvin Elementary, where I coach sixth grade football.” Trey told the nurse.

     “Well I’m really sorry about that. All you can do is pray.” said the nurse.